Carbonation: Fine for first two months, then eventually became overcarbonated. Huh?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surferdrew

Reaction score
Alright...

Over the last 15 months, I've bottled about 12 batches and kegged 30+ and I've never had carbonation issues on all my bottled or kegged beer as I (thought) I had acquired enough knowledge and patience to do it right.

However, the last 3 bottled batches have become overcarbonated after about 3 months. They were fine the first and second month but then eventually became overcarbonated.

I didn't think that beer continues to carbonate for months...does it?

The three overcarbonated batches were all ales between 1.040 and 1.060 in a room with an ambient temperature of around 60 degrees.

Hoping for better ideas then "drink your beer quicker" or "a troll is sneaking more yeast and sugar your beer and just messing with you."

Cheers.

I hate to break it to you, but if that's happenning after 3 months, then you have a late onset infection happenning. You need to check your sanitization procedures, and make sure there's no biomatter hiding in your gear, of particular importance to look at is your bottling spigot, wand, and auto siphon. Also look at your bottle cleaning procedures

How much sugar are you priming with? Are you using one of the calculators to figure out how much to use to get to at least close to a set CO2 volume? It could be that it's just taking the yeast a bit longer to eat the last of the priming sugar you used. OR the sugar isn't mixing evenly and the bottles you're drinking later got more of the sugar than the other bottles...

I've been weighing my priming sugars before using them. Using either the part of Beer Smith to figure out how much to use, or the priming widget site... Most of the time, they're in alignment on how much to use. I typically aim more for the middle of a recipe/style, the first time I brew it. I might adjust it higher, or lower, the next time I brew a recipe.

Also, listen to Revvy... Chances are IF it can happen, he's either experienced it first hand, or knows someone that did (personally, not via the web)...

I hate to break it to you, but if that's happenning after 3 months, then you have a late onset infection happenning. You need to check your sanitization procedures, and make sure there's no biomatter hiding in your gear, of particular importance to look at is your bottling spigot, wand, and auto siphon. Also look at your bottle cleaning procedures

That could be a possibility...though I'm a stickler for sanitation I need to do a more thorough job with my auto siphon and bottling wand. Late onset infection seems to be the only plausible answer...frankly an answer that I'm hoping for because it means that I can fix it.

Thanks Revvy.

How much sugar are you priming with? Are you using one of the calculators to figure out how much to use to get to at least close to a set CO2 volume? It could be that it's just taking the yeast a bit longer to eat the last of the priming sugar you used. OR the sugar isn't mixing evenly and the bottles you're drinking later got more of the sugar than the other bottles...

I've been weighing my priming sugars before using them. Using either the part of Beer Smith to figure out how much to use, or the priming widget site... Most of the time, they're in alignment on how much to use. I typically aim more for the middle of a recipe/style, the first time I brew it. I might adjust it higher, or lower, the next time I brew a recipe.

Also, listen to Revvy... Chances are IF it can happen, he's either experienced it first hand, or knows someone that did (personally, not via the web)...

Great questions. Yes, I use a calculator to carbonate to style and the amount of sugar I use is by weight, not volume. I bottle immediately after racking into bottling bucket.

I'm hoping Revvy is right (usually is) and its a matter of infection.

thanks

Great questions. Yes, I use a calculator to carbonate to style and the amount of sugar I use is by weight, not volume. I bottle immediately after racking into bottling bucket.

I'm hoping Revvy is right (usually is) and its a matter of infection.

thanks

At least you're smart about it... :D I see too many people either just dumping in 5oz of corn sugar, or using measuring cups for the priming sugar. :drunk: Way I see it, if you've taken enough care to brew your own beer, why not take a little more care and prime it within the style parameters? Sometimes, 5oz will be the right amount, but to have it as a blanket for every style just makes no sense to me...

BTW, is 'late onset infection' anything like 'male pattern baldness'?? :ban: My cure there was to shave it ALL off. :rockin: No more jokes about my hairline NOW BIOTCHES! :D

At least you're smart about it... :D I see too many people either just dumping in 5oz of corn sugar, or using measuring cups for the priming sugar. :drunk: Way I see it, if you've taken enough care to brew your own beer, why not take a little more care and prime it within the style parameters? Sometimes, 5oz will be the right amount, but to have it as a blanket for every style just makes no sense to me...

BTW, is 'late onset infection' anything like 'male pattern baldness'?? :ban: My cure there was to shave it ALL off. :rockin: No more jokes about my hairline NOW BIOTCHES! :D

Ha! that's classic...both are happening to me...aghhh!

Yeah, definitely. Why take all that time and short cut the carbonation? I'm really precise too...by weight of sugar and volume of beer. I know that 4.25 gallons is NOT the same as 5 gallons. Now I just need to be more precise about taking apart my bottling wand...maybe there is something there.

Ha! that's classic...both are happening to me...aghhh!

Yeah, definitely. Why take all that time and short cut the carbonation? I'm really precise too...by weight of sugar and volume of beer. I know that 4.25 gallons is NOT the same as 5 gallons. Now I just need to be more precise about taking apart my bottling wand...maybe there is something there.

Dude, that sucks on both ends... :eek:

I take the bottling wand apart after every use, clean it up really well, then store the end parts in the cupboard. I also wash the bucket really well, and set it aside for next time. Before use, I sanitize the F out of the bucket, the line going from the spigot to the want (including the want) inside, as well as the wand on the outside. I dunk the end parts for the wand in StarSan to get them ready too. Put it all together while my hands are dripping StarSan too. I even go so far as to put a towel soaked in StarSan over the bucket both before beer is in it, and once beer is in it (during bottling)... It's not dripping wet, but it stops anything from falling in. I'll probably be taking the spigot off of the bucket before the next bottling day (could be tomorrow) to make sure it's good and clean, and sanitized.

I use the other bucket that came in my first kit (could be used as a primary, but I don't) to hold the bottle tree at a better height. I'll try to get a picture of the way I have things set up when I do it next time... If I think to...

For me, I usually aim for the middle of the style range for a brew. That way, if I have less going into bottles, I'm still within the parameters. It's hard to know how much you REALLY have going into bottles until it's in the bucket. Damned trub can mess you up... Last batch I had filled 36 500ml (16oz) bottles and still had a little left over. So 4.5 gallons... I could factor on that as being my pretty standard amount going into bottles... Maybe I will. Although I did just rack my wee heavy onto oak, and it looks like I got damned close to 5 gallons there... Probably more like 4-3/4, but I could have a bit more. I put a bit too much into the 5 gallon carboy. Good thing I used a blow-off tube setup on it. :eek: Otherwise, it could have been... Messy... :fro:

Back