Carbonating Stones

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HaveADrinkOnMe

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone would advocate using a carbonating stone, also I am a bit confused as to where you hook it up to, a few places I have check out suggest hooking it up to tubing and the other end to the dip tube inside the keg, and others say you can screw it into the barbed swivel nut.

I have one attached to a corny lid with an extra ball lock disconnect, and while it works well, it's just as easy to set a keg to 30psi for 24 hours then drop to serving pressure.

You need to put the stone in the beer close to the bottom of the keg for it to work. How you plumb it is your choice. Mine is at the end of a ~24" piece of silicone tubing, which is connected to the gas diptube with a zip tie. I have no idea what you're referring to when you say "the barbed swivel nut".

A carb stone is great for getting a beer carbed in less than a day if you're in a huge rush. I prefer to use the set and forget method for the vast majority of my beers though. The extra patience is usually rewarded.

Back