Carbonating below serving temp but at serving temp pressure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Froyd

Reaction score
Thought I'd kill two birds with one stone by carbing my Alt while it lagers in the keg for a couple of weeks at 34F. I hooked up the co2 tank to the keg and set the regulator to 11psi, which would give me 2.4 volumes at the serving temp of 40F, but which provides closer to 2.7 at 35F. I just need a quick check to make sure I'm not thinking about this the wrong way, but my thought is that when I'm done lagering and move the keg to my kegerator set to 40F, the over pressurized cold keg will eventually drop to 2.4 volumes as the beer warms up. I just want to make sure that I'm not misunderstanding something and end-up with over-carbed beer.

Closed system. Same as overcarbing a bottled beer, the CO2 has nowhere to go so the beer will be oversaturated at the temp/pressure unless the pressure is allowed to bleed off. Just lager at the volume of CO2 that you want.

Back