carbonate 3 gallon keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dark_Ale

Reaction score
Should I force carbonate my 3 gallon keg the same way I do my 5 gallon kegs....30psi for a minute or so?

I have 3 gallon kegs and for some reason 30 psi then shake never worked for me. what I do is hit it with 30psi shake for 30 seconds, hit it again with 30 psi then shake again for 10 seconds, then hit it again with 30psi and shake for 5 seconds. Let it sit for an hour or so and it's good. Then I release the pressure and serve it at 8psi. works for me everytime. Good luck

rcdirtbuggy said:
I have 3 gallon kegs and for some reason 30 psi then shake never worked for me. what I do is hit it with 30psi shake for 30 seconds, hit it again with 30 psi then shake again for 10 seconds, then hit it again with 30psi and shake for 5 seconds. Let it sit for an hour or so and it's good. Then I release the pressure and serve it at 8psi. works for me everytime. Good luck
What definition of carbonation do you use?:confused:

A beer with a head on it or bubbly as in a soft drink?:confused:

homebrewer_99 said:
What definition of carbonation do you use?:confused:

A beer with a head on it or bubbly as in a soft drink?:confused:

I'm sorry I don't understand what your asking. sorry. please elaborate.

rcdirtbuggy said:
I'm sorry I don't understand what your asking. sorry. please elaborate.
Your post above (copied here) states:

"...hit it with 30psi shake for 30 seconds, hit it again with 30 psi then shake again for 10 seconds, then hit it again with 30psi and shake for 5 seconds. Let it sit for an hour or so and it's good. Then I release the pressure and serve it at 8psi. works for me everytime..."

I'm asking what are your results? A head on your beer (bubbles ON TOP of the beer) or bubbles INSIDE your brew (like the bubbles in a soda or pop, depending where you live). Soda is HIGHLY carbonated, but usually does not have a head.

I'm curious because I don't consider a "head" carbonation, hence, I use the "bubbly brew" definition of "carbonation". :D

homebrewer_99 said:
Your post above (copied here) states:

"...hit it with 30psi shake for 30 seconds, hit it again with 30 psi then shake again for 10 seconds, then hit it again with 30psi and shake for 5 seconds. Let it sit for an hour or so and it's good. Then I release the pressure and serve it at 8psi. works for me everytime..."

I'm asking what are your results? A head on your beer (bubbles ON TOP of the beer) or bubbles INSIDE your brew (like the bubbles in a soda or pop, depending where you live). Soda is HIGHLY carbonated, but usually does not have a head.

I'm curious because I don't consider a "head" carbonation, hence, I use the "bubbly brew" definition of "carbonation". :D

I know my way of doin it isn't exactly "By the book" but I have recieved much advice on how to carbonate quickly and it hasn't turned out great. So I did some trial and error and I found that this way works very well. The head on the beer is very thick and creamy (but not wild) and the carbonation inside the beer is great (just like commercial brews) and it doesn't go crazy when you pour it. I just kind of tried a bunch of different methods and none worked so I was forced to devise my own method and it actually worked. (surprise surprise)

Yeah it works very well, I was surprised how well the beer is carbed. My dispensing length is just about 5 ft.

Back