Carbon water filtering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SonomaBrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone have a good recommendation for carbon filtering water from an outdoor hose spigot?

I don't want to go full RO, and the blue canister filter I bought from MoreBeer a few years ago leaks. Was never super happy with this filter, so I'm not keen to replace it. Any good alternatives?

If you have chloramines in your water this one won't filter them. You should be able to find one on Amazon that does.

Carbon filtering water doesn't really do much. Get a water report to see what's in it in the first place. Wardlab.com get the w4 test for $25

https://www.wardlab.com/submit-a-sample/water-analysis/
Sure it does. The one I listed filters sediment greater than 20 micron. Exactly as it says.

The OP said "Does anyone have a good recommendation for carbon filtering water from an outdoor hose spigot?" That is what I provided. Nothing was stated about "Chloramines" or other. :yes:

I use one of those filters you would use for your house and a potable water hose. The filter is on a simple frame that lives on a chair that I pull out of the garage. I have a manifold before the filter so I can connect my sprayer hose that always has unfiltered water, a valve for unfiltered water to run through the wort chiller, and a valve to run through the filter. The output of the filter goes to a hose that has pot filler I soldered together. All the hoses have quick disconnects.

Attachments

• 24B2851B-AA2D-4028-BFA1-7E4E1FDEC95E.jpeg
    24B2851B-AA2D-4028-BFA1-7E4E1FDEC95E.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Sure it does. The one I listed filters sediment greater than 20 micron. Exactly as it says.

The OP said "Does anyone have a good recommendation for carbon filtering water from an outdoor hose spigot?" That is what I provided. Nothing was stated about "Chloramines" or other. :yes:

In terms of what it may or may not do to improve the water for brewing is really the point. Sure, it removes sediment. Great, but sediment isn't what makes water good or bad for brewing.

Maybe I'll ask the OP this: What are you hoping to achieve with the carbon filter?

Thanks.

I use purchased RO water for brewing, and add the brewing salts and lactic that I want to fit the recipe. I have the Ward analysis of my city water, but find that the beer is just not as good as it is with RO.

Carbon filtering is for the water that I use to clean my kegs and put in spray bottles with sanitizer (StarSan). Perhaps it's over the top, but I do find that the water I use to clean subtly impacts the beer flavor once it's in the keg.

I was told some time ago that slow carbon filtering removes chlorine and chloramines. Sounds like I am wrong re: the latter!

Thanks.

I use purchased RO water for brewing, and add the brewing salts and lactic that I want to fit the recipe. I have the Ward analysis of my city water, but find that the beer is just not as good as it is with RO.

Carbon filtering is for the water that I use to clean my kegs and put in spray bottles with sanitizer (StarSan). Perhaps it's over the top, but I do find that the water I use to clean subtly impacts the beer flavor once it's in the keg.

I was told some time ago that slow carbon filtering removes chlorine and chloramines. Sounds like I am wrong re: the latter!

As long as your mash pH is in range given your water stats, you're fine. SLOW carbon filtering will remove chlorine and chloramine but slow usually means much slower than any typical user is willing to run it. The better solution is a pinch of metabisulfite.

I was planning to get my water tested at Ward with the W-501 Brewer's test for $32.50, but from what I can tell, the only difference is that the W4 doesn't test for iron. Am I reading this correctly?

That is correct. If you want to save a few dollars and can get the iron content from your water supplier's annual report, W-4 would be the way to go. But if I were on well water, I'd spring for the W-501.

That is correct. If you want to save a few dollars and can get the iron content from your water supplier's annual report, W-4 would be the way to go. But if I were on well water, I'd spring for the W-501.
Thanks - I'm on city water, so I'll go with the W4. The savings should cover the cost of shipping the sample.

We frequently see homebrewers pushing 5+ gpm through little carbon filters designed for less than 1 gpm.

There are 4 common/standard filter cartridge sizes
2.5 x 10
2.5 x 20
4.5 x 10
4.5 x 20
and filter housings to hold each size. The bigger the carbon cartridge, the higher flow you can push through it and still get the intended treatment.

The devil's in the details here.
Are you trying to treat chlorine? Or chloramine?
Is your carbon filter a radial flow carbon block? Or an axial flow GAC cartridge?
Are you using GAC? PAC? CGAC?
Is your carbon block preceded by a sediment filter? Is your carbon block plugged with sediment?

Your vendor should be able to tell you the recommended maximum flow and expected life span of any carbon filter you buy.

Russ

Back