Carbing while cold crashing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmat123

Reaction score
I ferment in corny kegs and for most of my ales ferment for about 21 days in the primary, cold crash for 3-4 days and then carb. I usually carb at 30 psi for 36 hours and then turn down to serving pressure (10-12 psi). This gets the beer pretty close to optimally carbed up in about 7 days. My question is: can I begin carbing my beer while cold crashing in my keezer? Will this have any effect on the yeast dropping out of suspension? Thanks!

Thats what i do with all my lagers. I don't notice any issues with it. the first pint always has a lot of yeast in it tho

I do the same with my lagers after transferring them to a new vessel. Are you saying you carb up the primary?

I carbonate while doing my primary fermentation. Check my link in my signature for some back-up. It is perfectly ok to get carbonation from the last few points of gravity in your primary fermentation. I do mine before I am cold crashing. Lagers have a lot longer to work with than ales as far as getting to your finishing volumes of CO2.

Back