Carbing Apfelwein with concentrate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ziplinedown

Reaction score
Has anyone done this successfully? One of my brew buddies is doing 2 batches side by side, one with concentrate and the other with corn sugar. I plan to do a write up once its finished and we can do a side by side comparison.

I have added concentrate at bottling as a little bit of an experiment. I was not expecting a lot of carbonation and I was hoping for some extra depth of flavor. I added one 11.5 ounce can of Juicy Juice concentrate to 2.5 gallons of Apfelwein. It ended up fermenting all of the sweetness out as I expected, it left very little flavor behind and added a little bit of carbonation.

Their must have been fake sugar in that juicy juice. One can of concentrate will carbonate a 5 gallon batch very well and remembering of the top if my head one can for about 3.5 gallons is about the safe upper limit.

Their must have been fake sugar in that juicy juice. One can of concentrate will carbonate a 5 gallon batch very well and remembering of the top if my head one can for about 3.5 gallons is about the safe upper limit.

I will admit that most of the bottles went pretty fast so they didn't get but a couple weeks to carbonate. I have 2 bottles which have been sitting for about 2 months now so based on what you are saying I might have some gushers in my swing-tops! :D Now I just might have to open a bottle and see what I have going on in there.

I often bottle using half a pint of juice to a gallon (gives about 3 volumes of CO2). The cans of concentrate will make up about 3 pints, so 1 can is about right for 6 gallons.

Back