Car recall

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treacheroustexan

Reaction score
Need some advice guys! I bought a 2013 Honda CR-Z a few years ago and got a letter in the mail today saying there is an airbag inflator recall that has killed multiple people. The thing is, they won't have the parts to fix it until summer.. I'm traveling a LOT in the next two months. I emailed the dealership asking for a different car to drive until they fix my car. Driving to multiple states and long hours, the last thing I want to do is drive a car where my airbags will kill me.

What do you think my chances of (temporarily) getting a new car are?

The math alone suggests the odds are very, very long.
On the up side, you're in rich company, considering virtually every BMW built in the last 10 years got bit by the Takada bug...

Good luck

Thanks for the reminder, been meaning to call about that airbag recall for a while now. Made an appointment to take it in. :)

What do you think my chances of (temporarily) getting a new car are?

To answer this question: Zero. You and the millions of other people who got those notices are all freaking out about how THEIR CHILDREN are at risk. You won't get anything out of the dealer until they have the parts. Chances are that the service department won't even talk to you about doing anything until that happens.

To answer this question: Zero. You and the millions of other people who got those notices are all freaking out about how THEIR CHILDREN are at risk. You won't get anything out of the dealer until they have the parts. Chances are that the service department won't even talk to you about doing anything until that happens.

I didn't think so. But this is my first recall so figured I would give it a shot! It just sucks receiving a paper in the mail saying my car contains defects thats already killed people and could kill me :p I don't realllllly wanna die. Too many full fermenters for that.

I didn't think so. But this is my first recall so figured I would give it a shot! It just sucks receiving a paper in the mail saying my car contains defects thats already killed people and could kill me :p I don't realllllly wanna die. Too many full fermenters for that.

The good news is that most of the issues have been in southern, hot, high humidity states. Not that Ohio is low humidity, but it is definitely not as hot, for whatever that is worth. All three of my/wife's vehicles are effected. Hearing the same thing around here, late 2016 at the earliest. My understanding is dealerships in Florida are at the front of the line for parts, and they are being selectively rolled out elsewhere in the country after that, at the guidance of the federal hwy administration.

Came across the letter about this recall this morning. It says I was initially notified of the issue in September 2014, and parts were available in May of 2015. Probably should have done it before now. :eek:

My office has a Honda for visiting guests (I don't know whether we lease it or own it). Our current guest got a call over the weekend about the recall ordering them to bring the car to the dealership immediately. They did not get a new car but they were given a loaner vehicle. I am not sure what the timeframe is for the repair.

You can ask them in writing, they will respond in writing, save that letter. If they don't pay for a rental and something happens your family can easily be compensated. If you push hard enough you may get a loaner or they will pay for your rental.

The airbags on my 2004 Dodge RAM were recalled about a year ago. But the recall mentioned nothing of fatalities, only that there was a chance that the front passenger airbag might not deploy properly.

I rarely drive the damned thing anyway, so I've been too lazy to do anything about it. If any of y'all ever need a ride, maybe consider sitting in the back seat.

The airbags on my 2004 Dodge RAM were recalled about a year ago. But the recall mentioned nothing of fatalities, only that there was a chance that the front passenger airbag might not deploy properly.

I rarely drive the damned thing anyway, so I've been too lazy to do anything about it. If any of y'all ever need a ride, maybe consider sitting in the back seat.

from my letter:

"Our air bag supplier has advised BMW that in the event of a crash necessitating deployment of the front passenger's airbag, excessive internal pressure could cause rupturing of the air bag inflator, resulting in metal fragments striking and potentially seriously injuring the front passenger or other passengers

Please note that, as an intended design feature, if the front passenger seat is not occupied, the front passenger air bag ill not deploy in a crash."

Honestly, it's not very often that there is anyone riding in the passenger seat of my car. I also don't drive that car in the winter.

from my letter:

"Our air bag supplier has advised BMW that in the event of a crash necessitating deployment of the front passenger's airbag, excessive internal pressure could cause rupturing of the air bag inflator, resulting in metal fragments striking and potentially seriously injuring the front passenger or other passengers

Please note that, as an intended design feature, if the front passenger seat is not occupied, the front passenger air bag ill not deploy in a crash."

Honestly, it's not very often that there is anyone riding in the passenger seat of my car. I also don't drive that car in the winter.

****. Just looked up my VIN on the NHTSA website.There was another recall later in the year:

THE DRIVER AIRBAG INFLATOR HOUSING MAY RUPTURE, DUE TO EXCESSIVE INTERNAL PRESSURE, DURING NORMAL AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT EVENTS. THIS CONDITION IS MORE LIKELY TO OCCUR IF THE VEHICLE HAS BEEN EXPOSED TO HIGH LEVELS OF ABSOLUTE HUMIDITY FOR EXTENDED PERIODS OF TIME.
SAFETY RISK:
AN INFLATOR RUPTURE, DURING AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT EVENTS, COULD RESULT IN METAL FRAGMENTS STRIKING AND POTENTIALLY SERIOUSLY INJURING THE VEHICLE OCCUPANT(S).

Guess I'd better take it in, after all. :p

****. Just looked up my VIN on the NHTSA website.There was another recall later in the year:

THE DRIVER AIRBAG INFLATOR HOUSING MAY RUPTURE, DUE TO EXCESSIVE INTERNAL PRESSURE, DURING NORMAL AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT EVENTS. THIS CONDITION IS MORE LIKELY TO OCCUR IF THE VEHICLE HAS BEEN EXPOSED TO HIGH LEVELS OF ABSOLUTE HUMIDITY FOR EXTENDED PERIODS OF TIME.
SAFETY RISK:
AN INFLATOR RUPTURE, DURING AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT EVENTS, COULD RESULT IN METAL FRAGMENTS STRIKING AND POTENTIALLY SERIOUSLY INJURING THE VEHICLE OCCUPANT(S).

Guess I'd better take it in, after all. :p

Well, how about that, my driver's side airbag is also affected and isn't available yet...

SUMMARY:
DRIVER'S FRONT AIR BAG : During air bag deployment in an accident, the driver's front air bag module may produce excessive internal pressure that could cause the inflator to rupture.
SAFETY RISK:
Inflator rupture could result in metal fragments striking the driver or other passengers, potentially resulting in serious injury or death.
REMEDY:
Your BMW center will replace the driver's front air bag module. Dependent upon parts availability, certain vehicle owners may be notified of the availability of an interim remedy, which replaces old parts with new parts. All owners, including those receiving the interim remedy, will be notified by US Mail when the permanent remedy becomes available. All affected vehicles must receive the permanent remedy.
RECALL STATUS: Recall INCOMPLETE. Remedy not yet available

In the meantime, don't run into anything.......... ;)

Realistically speaking, anything a dealer will tell you about this recall will boil down to this until they have the parts and are ready to handle the recall appointments. Since this recall does not make any of the cars unsafe to drive, they just MAY cause ADDITIONAL injury in the (hopefully very unlikely) event of an accident, I can't imagine that any dealership is going to offer any additional compensation.

Even if you are in an accident before the recall service is performed, they've done their duty by informing you of the issue.

If you push hard enough you may get a loaner or they will pay for your rental.

I agree with this. I used to work for an auto manufacturer that did this for the "noisy customers." In short, if you make the case that you use your vehicle for your livelihood/work and cannot afford to be without a vehicle, then they they may accommodate you. Worse case: They don't help you out and you take it to social media and share your story with a news organization.

If you push hard enough you may get a loaner or they will pay for your rental.

I agree with this. I used to work for an auto manufacturer that did this for the "noisy customers." In short, if you make the case that you use your vehicle for your livelihood/work and cannot afford to be without a vehicle, then they they may accommodate you. Worse case: They don't help you out and you take it to social media and share your story with a news organization.

I am not sure you could "push hard enough" or be enough of a "noisy customer" in this case. Unless you are wealthy enough to take it to court.

Remember this involves millions of cars. I don't think the dealerships have millions of loaners available......

I am not sure you could "push hard enough" or be enough of a "noisy customer" in this case. Unless you are wealthy enough to take it to court.

Remember this involves millions of cars. I don't think the dealerships have millions of loaners available......
Of course you are right, they don't have millions of loaners. That's why they just might pay for a rental. It doesn't hurt to ask and make some noise when it comes to one's safety. Ask the dealership, when they say no ask corporate, if they say no call a news station, in NY we have abc 7 on your side.

FWIW, two of the people i work with had an Acura and Honda, respectively, which were part of the recall. When they found out their parts weren't available, they contacted the dealership asking for rentals and they didn't even hesitate. Further if you look at FAQ #3, it sort of eludes to it.
http://www.safercar.gov/rs/takata/images/pdfs/Takata-Recalls-FAQ.pdf

I'd say go for it. My anecdotal experience shows a 100% success rate!

We recalled 30 million.

Noisy customers got taken care of at dealerships.

Employees, like myself, parked our cars until they could be serviced.

It's worth a shot to call a few dealerships and ask. Try and talk to the service manager if possible. If not, take it to social media/a news station. And if you're using Twitter, make sure you tag @HondaUSA.

We recalled 30 million.

Noisy customers got taken care of at dealerships.

Employees, like myself, parked our cars until they could be serviced.

It's worth a shot to call a few dealerships and ask. Try and talk to the service manager if possible. If not, take it to social media/a news station. And if you're using Twitter, make sure you tag @HondaUSA.

So you are saying that Dealerships could provide 30 million loaner cars until all the parts are available? - Unrealistic! -

Making it an issue on Social Media, depending on how it is done can range from informative to useless whining. Again, 30 million loaners.....

I would ask if the airbags could be disabled and pray that seatbelts would do the job in the case of bad luck. Then ask that the problem is corrected in a timely manner.

If you are worried about it blowing, then pull the fuse to it and don't run into anything. People drove cars for nearly 80 year before airbags were common place.

Well I'ma 'bout to go drive home in my truck (actually needed it today). Let's all hope I survive the 8 mile journey home in this rolling deathtrap that apparently has a claymore mine for a steering wheel.

Good luck fellow recallees.

dodge.jpg

IMO, this is just another money grab by injury lawyers and your good old government. Yes, there have been several deaths. Were they caused by the air bags or by the accident that caused the airbag to go off? Remember, every one of those deaths was also an automobile car wreak....and a lawyer looking to make a buck....and the government jumps in for a piece of the pie by levying large fines.

Has anyone seen a news story on how many lives are SAVED because of airbags? Of course not, no sense injecting reason into the insanity...no money to made there. Never mind that it was our government (huge collection of lawyers) who mandated the auto industry to install these devices, but now they fine the manufacturers. Why? Because they have the money! Guess who will actually pay for all of this, you, in the form of even higher car prices.

Where are the drivers...I know they are dead...but what about their actions? Did they obey the traffic laws? Was there excessive speed involved? Failure to control the automobile? Drunk? Hey, these are real questions, ALL those dead drivers were involved in a car wreak. The airbags don't just wait until you are buckled in and then blow up and kill you. They go off after you smacked into something...and smacked it pretty dang hard too in my experience.

I would advise Takata to suspend all shipments of airbags to all manufacturers. That would in effect shut down the whole auto industry. Thousands out of work, and outta work union guys, oh my! The trickle down would effect anyone who had anything to do with manufacturing autos...like the radio guys, seat cushion ladies...all outta work. Then the government guys would have Congressmen chewing on their ass because now they pissed off the voters...gotta keep the voters happy, it's an election year.

Short story, good people die every day, and some die from doing something stupid like texting and driving and slamming into a telephone pole, but the airbag killed them. BS. It's a money grab and they raping the manufacturer because his pockets are the deepest.

Just drive your Honda like you have two brain cells that touch, pay attention, and watch the road...odds are very good you will make it home.

My passenger side airbag was replaced today. Guy at the service desk said he thought it would be late this year before they're doing the driver's side. Loaner car wasn't bad.

The list of makes/models affected by the Takada issue really is huge.
The last time I scanned it I wondered how one company could own that much of the market.
Almost every brand is affected, some hella worse than others (eg: a decade of the entire BMW production got creamed).

Dodge replaced the steering wheel grenade - er, airbag - on my Durango last summer - the quickest recall campaign I can ever recall. My S4 and the Spousal Unit's PT used other suppliers...

Cheers!

The list of makes/models affected by the Takada issue really is huge.
The last time I scanned it I wondered how one company could own that much of the market.
Almost every brand is affected, some hella worse than others (eg: a decade of the entire BMW production got creamed).

Dodge replaced the steering wheel grenade - er, airbag - on my Durango last summer - the quickest recall campaign I can ever recall. My S4 and the Spousal Unit's PT used other suppliers...

Cheers!

Funny, I've got 5 cars here, none on the list. Woohoo.,

IMO, this is just another money grab by injury lawyers and your good old government. Yes, there have been several deaths. Were they caused by the air bags or by the accident that caused the airbag to go off? Remember, every one of those deaths was also an automobile car wreak....and a lawyer looking to make a buck....and the government jumps in for a piece of the pie by levying large fines.

Has anyone seen a news story on how many lives are SAVED because of airbags? Of course not, no sense injecting reason into the insanity...no money to made there. Never mind that it was our government (huge collection of lawyers) who mandated the auto industry to install these devices, but now they fine the manufacturers. Why? Because they have the money! Guess who will actually pay for all of this, you, in the form of even higher car prices.

Where are the drivers...I know they are dead...but what about their actions? Did they obey the traffic laws? Was there excessive speed involved? Failure to control the automobile? Drunk? Hey, these are real questions, ALL those dead drivers were involved in a car wreak. The airbags don't just wait until you are buckled in and then blow up and kill you. They go off after you smacked into something...and smacked it pretty dang hard too in my experience.

I would advise Takata to suspend all shipments of airbags to all manufacturers. That would in effect shut down the whole auto industry. Thousands out of work, and outta work union guys, oh my! The trickle down would effect anyone who had anything to do with manufacturing autos...like the radio guys, seat cushion ladies...all outta work. Then the government guys would have Congressmen chewing on their ass because now they pissed off the voters...gotta keep the voters happy, it's an election year.

Short story, good people die every day, and some die from doing something stupid like texting and driving and slamming into a telephone pole, but the airbag killed them. BS. It's a money grab and they raping the manufacturer because his pockets are the deepest.

Just drive your Honda like you have two brain cells that touch, pay attention, and watch the road...odds are very good you will make it home.

We probably shouldn't get into politics, but take a look at this article. Yes, lawyers stand to gain from these lawsuits, but I think you would want some accountability if your daughter died due to a defect that the company knew about and refused to address. These companies don't just fix things so unfortunately you need the government and the threat of a lawsuit to get action.

http://www.atlantamagazine.com/great-reads/no-accident-inside-gms-deadly-ignition-switch-scandal/

We had a lady here in the Twin Cities die from projectiles from a Takada airbag a few years back, it was definitely a defective part, no doubt. Another was blinded by one but they are still trying to figure out what happened.

So far, our Toyota and Suzuki are not on the list, time will tell I supose.

Back