Cap doesnt fit on glass carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cronik

Reaction score
To make a long story short, found my dads old home brew equipment, went to more beer ended up gettin some other stuff I was missin, brewed a Blond Ale, put it in glass carboy went to put the cap and bubbler on it and the cap didnt fit. Had two caps actually, one to small and the other two big. I tried to make the big one smaller with no succes and was able to wrap the smaller one with tape until it fits and taped it up more... Will this work or did I just waste a whole batch???

Even if you didn't put a cap on it at all.... you didn't waste a batch.

As long as your sanitation was decent, you should be okay. Once fermentation starts, it will exhaust CO2, this will protect your beer and the slight positive pressure will keep out oxygen.

Now for your next batch, on your next trip to the LHBS, pick up a cap that works.... or from a hardware store you can also get a length of plastic tubing that just fits the the inside diameter of the top of the carboy, then put the other end in a jar of water or sanitizer... and you have a blow off tube, which is essentially a large 'bubbler'.

Thanks for the help I was gettin a lil worried. Went to my LHBS today and got a stopper that fit, had a lil trouble gettin it in as the gas kept pushin it out. But all is good now. Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back