Cant take keg apart

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey yall, i got what is hopefully not a newbie question. I got what I thought to be a sanke keg from a buddy who owns a bar with the hops of using it to keg my delicious, alcoholicy, goodness in. I just ran into a problem though. I have watched a bunch of videos on how to open a sanke keg but when I go to my keg, it doesnt have that spring which is the first thing to be taken off. Here are some pictures of what the top of my keg looks like.

Keg 1.JPG

keg 2.JPG

It is a miller keg. I tried using a sledge hammer and a flat bar but still couldnt get it to turn. I was trying to turn it counter clockwise like the article said. Is this something I can use PB Blaster or WD-40 on to loosen it up?

I did release the internal pressure. I read the article above and am not sure if I need to be pressing the ball at the same time as Im trying to turn it though.

You should not need to if the pressure is relieved it should turn it dont turn much and make sure the snap ring is out

I did release the internal pressure. I read the article above and am not sure if I need to be pressing the ball at the same time as Im trying to turn it though.

To unscrew the spear, all you need to do is turn it. You don't need to worry about pressing the ball to release the catch until after you have the spear unscrewed all the way. I've run across that style of keg once, and it too was pretty frozen in place. I stuck a wonderbar prybar between the tabs on the spear, and then used a pipe wrench on the prybar to get it started. Pretty much like this guy describes-
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/how-remove-miller-threaded-keg-valve-not-retained-spiral-ring-76393/

Back