Can't quite boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tywelcome

Reaction score
The only way I can boil 6 gallons of water is with the lid on.
It is close to boiling but no real bubble forming up top.

My question is:

Do I boil the wort with the lid on or just go without the lid and not quite boiling.?

I am on a electric stove.

The only way I can boil 6 gallons of water is with the lid on.
It is close to boiling but no real bubble forming up top.

My question is:

Do I boil the wort with the lid on or just go without the lid and not quite boiling.?

I am on a electric stove.

Neither! I'd reduce the size of the boil (the volume) until you CAN reach a rolling boil and then go from there. You don't want a lid (due to DMS issues) and you must boil (due to DMS issues as well as hops utilization and hot break).

Welcome to the forum, neighbor. Try and see if you can bring it to a boil w/the lid partially on. You don't really want to boil with the lid all the way on, the steam needs to escape to allow DMS to boil off. DMS=corn flavor.

P.s. damn Yooper, you're quick!!

I have the lid on about 3/4 and water is boiling. :)
I hope that is enough room for the DMS to escape.

Can you just split the batch and boil in 2 separate pots at the same time? Then just split your hop additions.

A rolling boil fully uncovered is necessary.

If you get a boil going with the lid on will it continue with the lid off? Maybe regulate it by varying the amount the lid covers. The less covered the better.

I was hoping to run two 5g batches at the same time so there would not be room to separate the boil into two kettles.

Should I plan on using less water as there could be less boil-off?

Thanks guys/girls.

Nordeast, I just noticed you are in Minneapolis. Well hello neighbor.
Sure is nice to have Midwest so close. Are you brewing all-grain with the gravity system?

Nordeast, I just noticed you are in Minneapolis. Well hello neighbor.
Sure is nice to have Midwest so close. Are you brewing all-grain with the gravity system?

Sure is! Love that place! Wish I could say I was brewing like that. I do BIAB, partial mash for larger/higher grav brews, BIAB AG for smaller batches and low grav stuff. Lookin into a three tier for when the weather warms up next year.

Hopkins, huh?! Midwest is like your LHBS! Gotta love that!

only if I had room. I hope I don't run into issues brewing a German Boch lager using the BIAB> fingers crossed. GL man and see you around.

If you handy...cut the center out of a lid, should trap enough heat to help the boil but allow for DMS to easily escape...you can google it and find a few DIY posts explaining it...mostly from home-distillers

Back