Can't find airlock?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacoby317

Reaction score
Its been a little over a year since I brewed my first and only batch, and now I've decided to give it another go. I have all of my equipment ready, my buddy here who wants to help, but no airlock. I've search and searched, but to no avail. Can I still go ahead with the brew and just cover the hole in my buckets lid with plastic until tomorrow or something? I'd really like to brew tonight, but all the brew supply stores are closed for the night. What are my options?

Got any siphon tubing? Use that instead and place end in a solution of sanitized liquid. I am assuming that you are using a glass carboy for fermenting instead of a plastic bucket with a hole for an airlock.

I would go ahead and brew. Just cover the hole with some loose fitting, sanitized foil. You can replace it tomorrow. So long as you have positive pressure in the fermenter you will be fine.
It might be a problem if you get a big blow out but just keep an eye on it.:mug:

Well, that brings me to question number two. I have a glass carboy, but was planning on using my bucket with hole in lid for airlock. Which would be better? I remmeber something about keeping in bucket for first bit, then puting into glass carboy for secondary....Not really sure if I'm making this up in my head or not??

Jacoby317 said:
Well, that brings me to question number two. I have a glass carboy, but was planning on using my bucket with hole in lid for airlock. Which would be better? I remmeber something about keeping in bucket for first bit, then puting into glass carboy for secondary....Not really sure if I'm making this up in my head or not??
I would use the bucket for primary and then rack into the carboy after the fermentation slows. (about 7 days)

If you're using a plastic bucket, you could use a temporary "flutter valve" until you can either do a blow off tube or airlock. A flutter valve uses Saran wrap. you cover the hole for the airlock with plastic wrap, taping down with duct tape on three sides. You have to use a BIG piece of Saran wrap, like maybe 8 x 12 inches. Co2 can get out the open side, but 02 can't get in. You can't do this with a real explosive fermentation, because it'll blow the duct tape off. If it's really explosive, you need to do a blow off tube.

seanhagerty said:
I would use the glass carboy and just sanitize some foil and wrap that over the top of the carboy.

Good Luck

Save the glass carboy to use as a secondary, use the bucket for your primary fermentation.

Back