Canning Wort for Starters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for reminding me to look for the pressure canner and not a pressure cooker. I have some Amazon gift cards that could go towards brewing items and this makes more sense than buying another Bayou Classic SQ14 to run another batch at the same time.

This may have been covered already but when canning the wort do we place the cover on and then tighten the ring snug or loose? If loose then I assume that we would tighten snug after cooling down. I have not canned anything before so this will be a new experience for me.

I also assume we cannot reuse the lids or the rings once they have been canned.

This may have been covered already but when canning the wort do we place the cover on and then tighten the ring snug or loose? If loose then I assume that we would tighten snug after cooling down. I have not canned anything before so this will be a new experience for me.

I also assume we cannot reuse the lids or the rings once they have been canned.

In order:

You tighten the rings down before you put the jars in the canner. Don't worry- anything that needs to escape from the jar while processing is going on will get past the seal just fine. Remove, and the vacuum created in the headspace by cooling will seal the lid with a little "tink" sound (you can check that the lid is down by pressing). When storing, a lot of people will remove the rings so they can use them on later batches, and / or so they don't rust and get stuck.

You cannot reuse the lids.

You can reuse the rings, which is why they sell lids alone as well as lids & rings (don't try it after they rust much, or they'll be hell to remove).

If you're new to canning, I strongly recommend that you read up. The equivalent to Palmer's How to Brew for canning is The Ball Blue Book. Download the pdf file here: http://www.filestube.com/b/ball+blue+book

You cannot reuse the lids.

This is interesting because I've reused lids (and bands of course) quite a few times and I've only ever had one failed seal (I had hacked it slightly with a knife when opening it).

While doing some google searches, the only reason I can find to NOT reuse them is: a failed seal. If the seal fails, I don't use the product.

If you do this with expensive produce, I can see it being an expensive waste. If it's a fail with canned wort, the waste is minimal.

I'm not saying you should or shouldn't reuse them. That's one's personal call.

Of course if it looks deformed, dried or hacked, don't use it :)

M_C

Just when I think I've seen it all the forum throws something new at me. I can't wait to start canning starter wort.

I'm looking into this as well and have tried to lurk my way through as many threads as possible. I must say, all the botulism talk has me second guessing. This is the first that I've read that I need a pressure canner, not a pressure cooker. So a pressure cooker will not work? Also, let's say I get a pressure canner, and do everything like the 15 psi @ 15 min, seal is depressed, everythings good to go... put it in the fridge. Open it up a month later to create a starter... do I still need to boil and chill or is it ready to pitch when it warms to room temp?

Also, let's say I get a pressure canner, and do everything like the 15 psi @ 15 min, seal is depressed, everythings good to go... put it in the fridge. Open it up a month later to create a starter... do I still need to boil and chill or is it ready to pitch when it warms to room temp?

This is my only remaining question as well. Although I assume it is ready to pitch at room temp.

I'm looking into this as well and have tried to lurk my way through as many threads as possible. I must say, all the botulism talk has me second guessing. This is the first that I've read that I need a pressure canner, not a pressure cooker. So a pressure cooker will not work? Also, let's say I get a pressure canner, and do everything like the 15 psi @ 15 min, seal is depressed, everythings good to go... put it in the fridge. Open it up a month later to create a starter... do I still need to boil and chill or is it ready to pitch when it warms to room temp?

The difference between a pressure canner and a pressure cooker is the size. Normally pressure canners are considerably larger and can hold more jars. Most pressure cookers won't be tall enough to hold a quart jar.

There is no need to refrigerate the canned wort, it's good to store at room temperature. Since it has already been boiled there is also no need to boil again. Simply spray the lid/seal area with starsan, pour into a sanitized flask and add the yeast.

I am so ready to try this as oon as I get back home from this extended stay with my inlaws here in southern Georgia. I originally asked about reusing the lids because of wanting to avoid throwing them away after one use but they are really cheap to replace so it shouldn't be a big deal.

This is my only remaining question as well. Although I assume it is ready to pitch at room temp.

After it's been processed the right amount of time at the right pressure (I use 15 PSI and 20 minutes), cool down to pitching temps and you can use it straight up.

Refer to my thread here.

MC

I do not have a pressure cooker, but I do have a vacuum sealer. Would I be able to boil my wort, chill, then can in mason jars, and seal them with the foodsaver mason jar attachment and get the same results? Reviews say the mason jar attachment work great. If I did this, I would not need to refrigerate or freeze these jars, correct?

I do not have a pressure cooker, but I do have a vacuum sealer. Would I be able to boil my wort, chill, then can in mason jars, and seal them with the foodsaver mason jar attachment and get the same results? Reviews say the mason jar attachment work great. If I did this, I would not need to refrigerate or freeze these jars, correct?

I wouldn't use that technique myself. The purpose of using a pressure canner is to pasteurize the wort so that it may be stored at room temperature. Boiling the wort will not hold it a high enough temperature to do that.

No, you would need to refrigerate/freeze for storage and then re-boil your wort before use.

I wouldn't use that technique myself. The purpose of using a pressure canner is to pasteurize the wort so that it may be stored at room temperature. Boiling the wort will not hold it a high enough temperature to do that.

On the same note you are not pasteurizing the wort in a pressure canner, you are sterilizing it by raising the temp to 250F for 15mins. In contrast pasteurization can be done at 145F for 30mins. Sterilization kills everything in the wort, allowing it to be stored for a very long time at room temps.

I don't see the reason for canning? I just put wort into plastic containers, freeze, thaw and boil for a few minutes when needed. I even do a few half gallon containers for lagers.

_

I don't see the reason for canning? I just put wort into plastic containers, freeze, thaw and boil for a few minutes when needed. I even do a few half gallon containers for lagers.

_
It's to be able to skip the "...and boil for a few minutes..." part. Or more specifically the "stick it in a water bath and keep checking it till it cools to the right temperature" part that you didn't mention. Sanitize a container, open and dump the wort and yeast and you're done.

I don't do this (yet). Just heard about it a month ago, and with all the *other* homebrewing goodies I want with my return to this hobby I haven't been able to justify this particular expenditure. But it's definitely on my wishlist.

Personally, it's just a quicker way to get a starter going when I am crunched for time. With a Wife that works a less than desirable schedule and 2 little ones running around I don't find that I have a ton of time to make a starter during the week if I'm brewing on the weekend. So, it works for me and is a great timesaver.

_

ww, how long do you store yours for? I've thought about doing it the same way as you, but the thought of botulism or something growing while it's cooling or if they can only be stored for a week or two, seems to make canning a great option.

ww, how long do you store yours for? I've thought about doing it the same way as you, but the thought of botulism or something growing while it's cooling or if they can only be stored for a week or two, seems to make canning a great option.

I go from the mashtun right to the freezer, I don't see why it wouldn't last indefinitely.

It's to be able to skip the "...and boil for a few minutes..." part. Or more specifically the "stick it in a water bath and keep checking it till it cools to the right temperature" part that you didn't mention. Sanitize a container, open and dump the wort and yeast and you're done.

So the actual canning process takes no time? I didn't mention the boiling time because I assume we all know how a starter is made. I just utilize wort that is already available to me at no additional labor or cost.

_

So the actual canning process takes no time? I didn't mention the boiling time because I assume we all know how a starter is made. I just utilize wort that is already available to me at no additional labor or cost.

Of course it takes time, but being able to define when that time is what makes the difference. At least for me. I'm not saving any time by canning wort, just shifting that time elsewhere.

I can make 4x 2-qt + 1x 1-qt wort in about 40 minutes of prep and pressure cooker time. The cooling time, I don't count as I just let it cool while I'm away.

That gives me 5 starter's worth of wort that I can use, so 8 minutes each. I don't think that I could heat-boil-cool wort in 8 minutes when I want to make a starter.

MC

I've been doing the WW method of collecting extra runnings and freezing. Now I.m running out of freezer space and have been thinking about the canning method. If I found a large enough pressure canner, at the right price, I would consider it. The canner could also be used for starting a frozen yeast bank too, which is more of an attraction for me.

I can make 4x 2-qt + 1x 1-qt wort in about 40 minutes of prep and pressure cooker time. The cooling time, I don't count as I just let it cool while I'm away.

That gives me 5 starter's worth of wort that I can use, so 8 minutes each. I don't think that I could heat-boil-cool wort in 8 minutes when I want to make a starter.

MC

I do something similar. Since I bottle everything, I make pints of priming sugar at 4 oz. per pint at the same time. I figure that every batch requires a starter and priming sugar, so I prepare them at the same time, usually enough for 3 or 4 batches. If I need less priming sugar then I measure out what's needed as it is about 1/4 oz. sugar per liquid oz.

This is intriguing to me and probably equally so to my brew buddy (he had a hot flask break on his foot)

Let me make sure I understand this process:

Collect wort from first runnings from mash tun?

Collect in jars and put in pressure canner- 15 minutes at 15psi?

Remove when cool- Place on shelf somewhere at room temp?

When needed- take off shelf- pour into flask- add yeast- swirl- then pitch that b*tch?

Maybe this was already covered, how full do I pour the wort into the jars prior to attaching the lids and rings? Will it matter if there is 1/4-1/2 inch of space left at the top of the jar? Also, does the water level in the pressure canner need to be covering the tops of the jars or not covering the tops of the jars?

Leave about 3/4" of headspace in the jar. Without headspace, it can't pull a vacuum when it cools and the jars won't seal. Covering the jars is best.

Also, does the water level in the pressure canner need to be covering the tops of the jars or not covering the tops of the jars?

I think all the canners differ somewhat, so you'll want to follow the directions for your specific unit. Whatever the manufacturer says is the way to go.

Looks like a screwed up and did not leave enough room at the top of the jars and did not have enough water in the pressure canner. Should I then remove some wort from each jar and redo this all or would that screw things up even further? [The jars got up to 250 F for 20 minutes]

the pressure canner took a few hours to cool down. Each of the jars has an air space of 3/4 inch at the top and the lid buttons are down. Problem is I don't what this is floating inside. Is this hot break and will it settle out to decant later? Should these go in the fridge for a few days to help these particles settle out and then return to room temp?

canned wort 1 001.jpg

canned wort 1 002.jpg

Yep, no worries that's break material. No need to refrigerate, that stuff will settle out without it. I just pour it all in my starter vessel and don't worry about it, you can decant it you want but it's not necessary.

You'll love it. Canning DME wort will only save time in making starters, but the convenience is great!

Well, I haven't tried my 1995 canned wort, but I did make a few batches of fresh canned wort this past monthl; I'm not sure why I've not been doing this all along, sure saves time and money.

It saves time because you don't have to wait for wort to cool before pitching, and saves money because you can typically just grab some wort from the tail end of your AG sparge, rather than boil of DME separate for the purpose as I had been doing. :mug:

Well, I haven't tried my 1995 canned wort, but I did make a few batches of fresh canned wort this past monthl; I'm not sure why I've not been doing this all along, sure saves time and money.

It saves time because you don't have to wait for wort to cool before pitching, and saves money because you can typically just grab some wort from the tail end of your AG sparge, rather than boil of DME separate for the purpose as I had been doing. :mug:

I do a dedicated mash just for starter wort. I always get an outstanding effeiciency with such a small grain bill.

Time to revisit this topic. It is just too dang hot to brew and i have the next 5 days off from work and family responsibilities. I was thinking of making several gallons of starter wort and I have one question. How long after I have made the wort do I need to get it canned? In this heat I might only get one canning session done a day since it will take a long time to cool off the pressure cooker and I wanted to know if I made the starter wort could I still can some of these jars 18-24 hours later after transferring the wort to the canning jars?

I am almost certain that there will be no problem as long as you keep it refrigerated. If it needs to stay at room temp I'd be much more dubious.

Like ResumeMan stated above if you put them in the fridge they should be just fine. Technically you are "boiling" them again as you pressure can them so you should be just fine.

If you make the wort, put it in the jars, and refrigerate overnight, you should be fine. The canning process the next day will kill anything that might have gotten in there. A waste of heat, I'd never do it that way- but this will work.

Well since it is now over 100 F outdoors I am going to continue to can the wort through tomorrow. I ended up making 8 gallons of starter wort so it will take some time to get all of this canned. Thanks for the replies everyone.

If you make the wort, put it in the jars, and refrigerate overnight, you should be fine. The canning process the next day will kill anything that might have gotten in there. A waste of heat, I'd never do it that way- but this will work.

I was able to can 8 out of the 10 gallons of starter wort I made today so the remaining jars will go into the fridge and be done tomorrow after they warm back up to room temp. I would have preferred to do this all today but with the hot weather (over 100 F) it takes longer for the canner to cool enough to safely open.

Back