Canning vs bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gungadin

Reaction score
Does anyone here can instead of bottle? If so, what equipment do you use, and what are some of the pros/cons to be aware of?

There seem to be a lot of benefits to canning vs bottling (lower price, ease of handling, opaque, eco friendly, etc.), but it's not something I hear anyone discussing in the home brew world.

That's because there is no low cost method of canning homebrew yet.

Canning has come a long way, it has made it into the craftbrewing realm because of some shifts in tech and stuff, BUT 150,000 cans is the smallest limit that any company will take you on as a client for.

This is the company that has made it available to the smaller level craft brewer....

WELCOME TO CASK.COM

But it still isn't affordable to the homebrewer yet. I mean who's got room for the 150,000 cans you'd need to purchase.

So until someone comes up with a type of can that we can re-use like bottles and don't need a large complex setup, we're stuck with kegs and bottling....

Still waiting for someone to start a thread for the 50 dollar canning machine with parts from Lowe's. When that happens he'll be a homebrew hero.

something that might work would be for a lhbs so buy the equip, and the cans, then you take a keg of your beer there to can it.

i cant see it being worth the money for anyone though. i am sure those canning machines are the real expense, not the cans.

What would be the magic price in your opinion for "home" can seamers that would make you consider switching? If you were able to to buy something that cost $400 and could buy cans as needed at the LHBS like you can today with bottles (but for less money), would you switch? How about if it was $300? $200?

What would be the magic price in your opinion for "home" can seamers that would make you consider switching? If you were able to to buy something that cost $400 and could buy cans as needed at the LHBS like you can today with bottles (but for less money), would you switch? How about if it was $300? $200?

Bottles are free. Caps cost me about 1.50/ gross or so. And bottles are nearly infinitely recyclable, until they break. Cans are one shot deals in their current iteration.

So just HOW are cans eco friendly to you? Bottles are more eco friendly than the can nowadays.

Plus bottles come in all sorts of unique sizes and shapes, so there is some variety to them.

I really can't see any price being worth it to me to the way beer cans are theses days.

The only way I would consider cans is if like bottles I could recycle them, and even use from commercial beers like I can with most bottles. And that would mean if someone would come up with some sort of gasket that would fit into the existing hole in a can after you breach it.

*shrug*

I put my beer in cans. Each can is 5 gallons size and has special fittings at the top that allow you to drink the beer without opening the can. I have a special fridge just for my beer cans. My cans are very sturdy and can be cleaned and reused over and over.

I love it in the can. So do all my friends. We all love it in the can.

I put my beer in cans. Each can is 5 gallons size and has special fittings at the top that allow you to drink the beer without opening the can. I have a special fridge just for my beer cans. My cans are very sturdy and can be cleaned and reused over and over.

I love it in the can. So do all my friends. We all love it in the can.

*groan*

;)

Back