Canning process

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kuehlr92a

Reaction score
Public brainstorm: I am ready to brew my next batch of beer and I really want to try canning. That being said, pre-built canning systems are too expensive for my budget (think cheap).

How can I accomplish canning my beer cheaply and without breaking the bank? I am thinking the only reasonable solution is to build my own system. I know that I need a way to pressurize the cans with co2, and some kind of manual can assembly process.

Any ideas or insights are welcome. I would like to figure this out so I can accomplish something in the homebrew world that is a little different from the norm, and also something I can learn from. Thanks!

You won't pressurize the can (it's got a wide open mouth before you put the lid on). You need a brite tank (basically a keg in which you carbonate the beer prior to canning).

Look into manual flywheel can sealer. That's what you need. New about $600.

I've seen them at brew pubs doing crowlers. Then you need a source of can blanks.

My opinion, it's probably more work than bottling, and less environmentally friendly.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but would something like this dirty ass can sealer do the trick if I were to clean it up and restore it?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Automatic-C...n-Sealer-Alcoa-Aluminum-Chicago-/322086215151

Yes about the environmental concern, but there are also advantages. Takes up less storage space, keeps the beer pristine and the sunlight out, and you don't have to worry about collecting bottles.

It may not end up being a feasible project if I have to shell out $600 for a sealer.

How would canning take up less space? I've worked at a brewery that cans and they take up a heck of a lot of space. If you're concerned about $600 for the canner itself, the cans will be an additional cost each time you use them instead of being reusable like kegs and bottles. I think you'd have a heck of a time trying to find somewhere to buy the cans at the homebrew scale as well.

I just thought because cans have a compact shape (no neck) that storage would become more efficient. I'm just trying to make a 5 gallon extract batch, so you guys are probably right. Not worth the time or money.

I work in IT but I've always wanted to work in a real brewery, maybe part time. It's a great hobby for me.

Sorry to dig up an old thread but I was thinking about this and the process...

So you basically need a motor to spin the can, then you need the sealer to crimp the lid.

The motor could be a drill, or a similar electric motor, as it's for homebrew purpose then speed wouldn't be a major issue. The only thing is finding the crimping chucks.

Canner.jpg

The frame could be basic, but it would need to be sturdy

Not a problem. That's a very practical approach and if I can get a sealer I may devise a method based on that information... Thanks!
:mug:

Just chiming in to this thread as well... my place of employment just bought a dixie canner...thinking of taking a keg of homebrew in there and canning it just to say I did, and for our research :)

I bought a six pack of stainless steel bottles for 50$. Way too expensive but interesting enough for me to splooge some cash. This way I can bring them places I can't bring glass and will last forever. All the benefits of glass and aluminum combined except price!

Back