Canned peaches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoatmanTom

Reaction score
I want to do a peach cider for the wife. Will canned sliced peaches in heavy syurp work? There are no preservatives added.
Thanks,
Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
I think a lot of the flavor might be stripped out in your primary fermentation. I'd wait and add them to your secondary. Never tried them, but why not? Let us know how it goes.

Pickled_Pepper said:
I think a lot of the flavor might be stripped out in your primary fermentation. I'd wait and add them to your secondary. Never tried them, but why not? Let us know how it goes.

I agree!

I am no expert by any means, but it seems that when adding any type of fruit to cider, mead ect...it is best to add it during secondary fermentation. Why? I can only assume that you want your cider to take shape first, then you can add other fruits to your craft cider.

I want to do a peach cider for the wife. Will canned sliced peaches in heavy syurp work? There are no preservatives added.
Thanks,
Tom

Heavy syrup is most often made from high fructose corn syrup, I'd be concerned it might contribute some off flavours. I think you'd be much better off by using pure fruit or a pure fruit puree like this:
Oregon Fruit Products
Just my 2 cents worth.
Regards, GF.

gratus fermentatio said:
Heavy syrup is most often made from high fructose corn syrup, I'd be concerned it might contribute some off flavours. I think you'd be much better off by using pure fruit or a pure fruit puree like this:
Oregon Fruit Products
Just my 2 cents worth.
Regards, GF.

Oregon Fruit Products is the ticket. They are produced in the city I live in, Salem Oregon...

So, I second the motion for their use!!!

I'd go with frozen peaches, thaw them, then add the peaches and thawed juice into a secondary and rack on top of them.

Inspired by thus thread, I ordered twelve 15 ounce cans of libbys peaches packed in pear juice and I intend to use them in 3 gallons of peach ginger melomel. Schramms recipe says to use peaches in primary so I'm going to go with that.

peaches in pear juice or light syrup would be good...macerated fresh or frozen would be better.

it is the syrup that i think is problematic. it isn't that the yeast won't eat high fructose corn syrup, but it will be as if you put yeast in sugar water...like others have said, the peaches won't contribute much.

Peaches in sugar water would create a peach country/ fruit wine. Mix that with cider and you get a peach cider. I really think all the extra sugar will do is raise the abv and if you add enough peaches you will get good peach character. If anyone has personally had problems with wines made with cornsyrup I would be very interested to hear of it, though.

I wonder if adding the fruit to the secondary will add more flavor than the primary where the sugars are gobbled up early?

It might be worth your while to look at the mead making forum to see how they add it to make peach mead, might give you some ideas...worth a shot.

my old boss makes mead and he puts fruit bill in both the primary (40%) and secondary (60%). The 40% in the primary is to introduce complexity to the brew for the benefit of the yeast and the 60% is all about flavor in the secondary.

that said...he only uses fresh or frozen fruit...but he is loaded and buys fruit like its going out of style.

my bias against canned fruit is not because of corn syrup. the kinetics (from my internet research) of yeast metabolism of corn syrup is that it is slower than dextrose but that's because of the extra fructose conversion step. It isn't really problematic..it should work. My issue is that canned fruit, at least to me, doesn't taste like real fruit. Canned fruit no matter the variety, just tastes like sugary mush. So when I say that the peaches would contribute little to the flavor, its because its one note and they taste like their syrup, not a peach. Fresh or frozen peaches, or peaches in pear juice, would at least have more, well, peach flavor.

I'm just not a fan of fruit in syrup..that's all. i just don't have the palate to discern fruit flavor over the corn syrup.

Back