Candi syrup took forever to darken

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sadu

Reaction score
I had a go at making candi syrup today for a Belgian dubbel.

I read a few different blog posts on the technique and settled on a small tartaric acid addition. I'm aware the 'proper' way is to use pickling lime and raise the pH, couldn't find anywhere selling it and decided to proceed anyway, even if not totally authentic.

Anyway, after about an hour of carefully holding it between 127c and 135c (260-270f I think), the colour wasn't really changing. I was having to add water regularly to keep the sugar in solution.

I let it rise to 150c for a while and managed to get a light amber syrup, then my back got sore from bending over the stove for so long and I decided I wanted beer, not just cooked sugar, so I proceeded with the brew day.

Seems like a lot of hands on work and the candi syrup is a lot paler than what I wanted for the dubbel.

Anyone know what I was doing wrong here or is several hours cooking normal for the dark stuff?

Latest posts

Back