Candi Syrup Math

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sudz

Reaction score
I just finished making my first Strong Dark Belgian and all went well except for how I calculated my OG.

The candi syrup goes in the boil at the end so I assume you don't add the points for fermentables in the grain bill for understanding the pre boil gravity? And I also assume when you do add them to understand the final gravity into the fermenter, you add them at 100% efficiency?

I've always hit my numbers within reason but not so this time. I'm trying to understand where I went wrong and I expect it has something to do with using the candi for the first time.

Any suggestions of words of wisdom?

That's the number I was using. Long story short... my pre boil gravity came in stronger than expected so I added more water to adjust to what I had planned for the post boil figure. I added the 2 lbs of candi to the pre boil points to estimate the final gravity after boiling since the candi was to be added at the end of the boil.

I was surprised to see my final gravity came in low (1.064 vs target of 1.077). Had I not added the water at pre boil, things would have been close to where they belonged.

Obviously I did something wrong here. Most likely in calculating the candi effects. The beer will probably be okay, just not what I was making.

I can see how that upset your gravity expectations. I add (dissolved) sugars and syrups to the fermentor.

Otherwise I stand to lose 10% or more of them to the kettle trub. I usually add them when fermentation has slowed down a bit, to prevent the yeast from binging on them early on creating more fusel alcohols. Pour down the airlock hole using a funnel with a long "diptube" (or vinyl hose) attached to prevent splashing and aerating the beer.

Aside from brewing a small high gravity batch to blend in, there's not much else you can do to recover the missing 13 points of malt sugars. In 5.5 gallon that's 72 points! Or siphon out a gallon, boil down and add back in.

Hadn't thought of going straight to the fermentor Good idea.

Damage done at this point and the beer is fermenting away. Guess I'll let it play out and see what I get. Good lesson here somewhere... :)

Back