Candi Sugar settled to the bottom of the fermentor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregoryShmegory

Reaction score
Yo- I brewed a Belgian Dark Strong a few days ago and decided to wait on the candi sugar additions until after primary fermentation. I made my own dark sugar syrup (based off these recipes: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/20-lb-sugar-jar-yeast-nutrient-114837/) and added the syrup last night. This morning I noticed the syrup mostly settled to the bottom of the fermentor, sitting below a thin layer of trub. Will the yeast eventually get to the syrup and ferment it out or should I take action and try to dissolve it? Thanks.

Probably not. You really should have boiled it. It will take a long time for the yeast to get to it...if they ever do. I would try to dissolve it somehow. Shake it up...I'm not sure if that will dissolve it or not. Never tried adding candi sugar after the boil.

Don't shake it up. If it is sugar the yeast will managed to find it. You really don't want to shake a fermenter once fermentation has started. You run the risk of introducing oxygen to the beer, and after fermentation starts that is something you want to avoid.

The yeast will find the sugar eventually. Just leave it alone.

Back