Can you pitch more yeast after fermentation has started?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jowilant

Reaction score
I just finished cooking an Imperial IPA that has an extremely high original gravity - 1.095. I pitched one vial of California Ale and did not do a starter with it (I know, I know...I should have...). I cooked and pitched my yeast on Jan. 1. It started visibly fermenting on Jan. 2, about 20 hours after pitching and seems to be going strong.

Because my gravity is so high I am now a bit concerned about my beer being too sweet due to me only using one liquid vial of yeast and not creating a starter with it. In other words, I am concerned that I don't have enough yeast to adequately break down my sugars. In addition, I would love to achieve a high alcohol content with this batch - 9 to 12 %?

So, at this point in time I would like to add more yeast. But, that's my question. Can I add more yeast to a batch that is already fermenting? If so, are there any special considerations when doing so?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

If you pitched a properly handled vial that was fairly new, you still pitched a good amount of cells, but like you said, not an ideal amount. Your yeast will have to reproduce too many times in order to get through all the sugars and your resulting beer may not be as good as it could have been had you pitched enough yeast. It might be too many esters, etc from all of the reproduction. If it stalls out, then maybe add another more alcohol tolerant yeast from a starter. Good Luck!

Why didn't you make a starter? Bad monkey! This is not optional!

So anyways, JSomps brings up the point that the yeast will have to reproduce more. I wanted to add that the downside of this (put simply) is that there won't be enough nutrients to go around for the purpose of cell division. Once they're done dividing, they'll be in less than optimal health for fermentation.

It's not so much that they "won't be able to break down the sugars" - it's that they'll be too stressed out to eat the last sugars in the beer, and they'll deem it better for their survival to go dormant, rather than continue fermenting. You're correct that this will leave more sugar and probably a little sweetness.

1.095 is a huge beer, and without a doubt you have underpitched. I think it would be a good idea to get some more yeast in there as soon as you can. You'll need to make a starter with them, and get the starter active, so that when you pitch the new yeast they'll be ready to ferment immediately. The sooner you get them in there, the more stuff will still be available in the wort for them to consume. Do not pitch a vial in without making a starter - the first pitch of yeast has already consumed all the nutrients. You need to get your yeast healthy first, then let them ferment.

It might be too late with the yeast, but more yeast nutrients might help added right now?

I know....no starter and underpitched. Not a good combination.

So, if I get more yeast, start it, and then pitch it right now, are there any special considerations for doing this? I have never pitched yeast after fermentation has already started. Should I just make my starter and pour it into my fermenter?

Thanks!

I would dump 2 packets of US-05 in. Very similar (some say identical) profile to WLP001 and 2 packets will have more than enough cells.

Back