Can you make partial boil brews that are good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillTheSlink

Reaction score
My back is giving me fits so the end of the season brews are going to be extract and I haven't done any in a very long time. I never did a partial boil, but dang it sure would help me now if I could. Does it really matter? I am doing a very high gravity beer and a Pale Mild if it makes any difference. The kit manufacture directions call for a partial boil.

Two big things that can help... fresh ingredients and late extract addition.

The first is kind of out of your hands since you're buying a kit, but if it came with anything in a can... be wary.

Late extract addition can help avoid undo darkening of the beer through caramelization. If it's an all extract brew, add half the extract at the start of the boil, and then add the other half nearer the end.

OH, it should be fresh. I always either get from Northern Brewer, Austin Home Brew Supply, or my LHBS Listermanns and this ones from Northern Brewer. These guys have always gave me fresh stuff.

I will do the late addition thing, but does that effect the IBU's in any way? I know a full boil does increase them, but I have no idea about late additions.

It can increase your IBU's but it's not that big of a boost. So folks on here argue that it doesn't increase IBU's at all because they haven't noticed a difference when they switch to late addition.

Latest posts

Back