Can you make a clear oat beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just brewed up a recipe with 28% malted oats. I wasn't planning to follow my normal procedure and clarify with gelatin since I assumed the oats would create a permanent haze. Is this true though? Can you make a clear oat beer?

This a 100% oat beer i did a long time ago, so I'd say yeah. 2lbs flaked, rest malted IIRC.
2012-01-26_22-15-53_952.jpg

A clear oat beer should be possible with a prolonged "protein" rest at 122 F for at least 15 minutes. It will kill your head retention as well. I don't do protein rests at all anymore but when I have in the past it resulted in some of the clearest beer I have ever made.... and thin and lifeless.

A clear oat beer should be possible with a prolonged "protein" rest at 122 F for at least 15 minutes. It will kill your head retention as well. I don't do protein rests at all anymore but when I have in the past it resulted in some of the clearest beer I have ever made.... and thin and lifeless.
Good to know. I've never done a protein rest and now I never will.😊

Back