Can you have too much diastatic power?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtbfan101

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Is it possible to have too much diastatic power? For instance, if you have like 150 L-lbs are there any consequences to that?

If there is no ill effect, would you expect a shorter mash time?

My other question, which is loosely based on the first one, is how much base malt is too much in a recipe? I know there are beers comprised almost solely on base malts, but let's say the recipe is an imperial IPA(or any style for that matter), when would it be too much base malt?

Thanks a lot,

Pat

Hey everyone,

Is it possible to have too much diastatic power? For instance, if you have like 150 L-lbs are there any consequences to that?

If there is no ill effect, would you expect a shorter mash time?

My other question, which is loosely based on the first one, is how much base malt is too much in a recipe? I know there are beers comprised almost solely on base malts, but let's say the recipe is an imperial IPA(or any style for that matter), when would it be too much base malt?

Thanks a lot,

Pat

You can't really have too much diastatic power. The enzymes will convert what they will convert, and no more. Temperature plays a big role in the rate of conversion, so I'd expect a higher temperature mash to convert in less time than a lower temperature mash would, regardless of the amount of diastatic power of the grains.

How much base malt is too much? Well, you only use enough to get to your OG. If that takes 5 pounds, or 50 pounds, that's what you'd use.

In terms of percentages, you can have a beer that is 100% base malts. In the simplest case, SMaSH, you have one base malt and one hop.

My local brewpub tells me that their DIPA is 100% 2-row. And yeah, Yooper ain't no dude. She does rock though and is a solid voice to listen to here on the forum.

I'll never make the mistake again :eek:. Sorry, yooper!

No worries! My avatar is a muscle bound Packer, so how would you know my gender?

I hope it's not obvious anyway. By that I mean, we're all here for the beer discussion, and I don't want any females on this forum (and there are more than you think!) to feel that women are treated any differently. Except if you'd say, "You brew like a girl", then we'd all accept that as a compliment, because some of the best brewers I know happen to be female. :D

(Of course, some of the best brewers I know happen to be male as well- I know lots of brewers).

"No worries! My avatar is a muscle bound Packer, so how would you know my gender?"

Well, in your defense he has long hair :).

Back