Can you get paid for home brewing beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.ncsl.org/research/financ...me-manufacture-of-alcohol-state-statutes.aspx provides a summary of each state's laws. As near as I can figure out for California, where I live, section 23356.2 of the Business and Professions Code does not prevent me from brewing for a friend in their home. If that friend wants to pay me I don't see where that is prohibited so long as the limitation of 100 gal/single, 200 gal/multiple adults in that household is not exceeded. California state law appears to be aimed at limiting the sale of a product rather than the sale of a service. I don't know if there are regs associated with this statute or, better yet, case law.

If it were me and it was one time for a friend who wanted to buy the ingredients & give me a little something extra for my trouble I wouldn't think twice about it. More than that & I'd read up some more. Do your own research, seek qualified legal advice if warranted and make up your own mind.

That is an interesting way of looking at it and it actually makes sense. You are selling a service NOT a product. It reminds me of wealthy people who have "staff" like personal chefs. The chef is hired to prepare meals in a private home. The employer buys the food.....the chef is paid to prepare the food. The same could be said for brewing. The employer buys all the raw ingredients and the brewer is paid to brew the beer in a private residence. Heck....if you wanted to really get technical the "employer" could pitch the yeast and then you really have no issues.

I've convinced myself that having my friends buy the ingredients and then giving them half the beer is harmless.

2 things to be aware of:

1) If you are being paid for making anything a person will injest you have to have insurance coverage in case your ingredients make a person sick. Even if it is an allergic reaction, you made it and you got paid to make it.

2) if you are being compensated for labor only and the person pays for all of the materials (note they are buying the materials, not paying you back for them. If you are being paid back for materials you fall under point number 1) you are at the bare minimum providing a service for payment in the food industry. You need to have a yearly inspection of your brewing equipment and also where you store it by a health inspector.

I'm glad I still live in a world where people can sell homemade decorated cakes on the side and kids can have lemonade stands without having to worry about getting sued because they don't have a food safety permit and umbrella insurance. It must suck to live in Lawyertown where children can't cut your grass until you provide them a set of steel toe boots and eye protection, and people feel worried to the point where they look up local policies on yard sales.

Last I looked into it, you could not receive compensation OF ANY KIND for homebrew - at least not without proper licensing, inspections, etc. In my case, I believe it was +$900 for the licensing.

We can get into the legalities of where yeast is pitched (someone offered to sell my beer on tap, as long as I pitched yeast in his FDA inspected kitchen) but....

The bottom line: it is hardly profitable to ever sell homebrew unless you have a veeeeery sweet, efficient set up. I've done the math something like this (with somewhat general numbers):
$40 for ingredients
$15 for bottles you won't get back
=$55 in material cost.

Labor: 6 hrs brewing, 2 hrs bottling = 8 hrs total time

Let's say you sell 50 bottles for $100 (thus they pay $2 per bottle, which obviously is on the high-middle end of a craft 6 pack). Subtract the materials, you have $45 in profit. Divide that by your labor, you receive $5.63/hr.

It's prboably illegal, but nobody is going to give a damn unless you try to turn it into a business. I sell my friends 6 packs of my beer for the cost of bottles and I'm not in the least bit worried.

I'm glad I still live in a world where people can sell homemade decorated cakes on the side and kids can have lemonade stands without having to worry about getting sued because they don't have a food safety permit and umbrella insurance. It must suck to live in Lawyertown where children can't cut your grass until you provide them a set of steel toe boots and eye protection, and people feel worried to the point where they look up local policies on yard sales.

On the other hand, **** happens. My son was doing some odd jobs for a disabled couple including splitting firewood. A log somehow popped up & broke off a couple of his teeth. If we didn't have good health insurance we'd have needed to look to those that hired him to help with the costs. One would think if that were the case they'd step up & do what they could to help cover the cost, but people can be funny...or broke.

Agree contractually to mow his lawn for $50 a mow. When you brew, take a pair of scissors and cut a couple blades of grass and collect your money. Then to celebrate your guys' successful business arrangement, gift him 50 bottles of homebrew.

isnt it against the law to share/give your beer? i dont know id go that route. id think id do it at his house and let him pitch the yeast then help him bottle.

But at the end of the day, when there's anything that's a legal gray area, rule 1) don't trust a bunch of random people on the internet for advice and 2) don't announce on the internet that you plan on doing something of questionable legality.

I think the first step in keeping the grey areas grey is to not even talk about it, especially not here.

Just some clips of posts made already that stand out. Just in case you missed them.

To answer your question, "Can you get paid to homebrew beer?" NO.

Sure there are plenty of things you can say that make you feel better about skirting laws, but in the end, no you can not brew beer at home and get paid for it. This has been discussed ad nauseam on this site. If you get paid any way shape or form, it is no longer homebrewing and therefore becomes a commercial operation.

Sorry to be such a downer, but every skirting the law option above has been mentioned and all have been proven to be false assumptions.

Basically, you either make beer for fun or you make beer for money. There is no in between.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

isnt it against the law to share/give your beer? i dont know id go that route. id think id do it at his house and let him pitch the yeast then help him bottle.

In some states, yes. In some states, it is illegal to take homebrew out of your home where it was brewed, and can't even take it to your own vacation home or campsite.

In some states, you can give a limited amount of homebrew away per year to a friend, but not in others.

In no cases is it legal to sell or barter for homebrew. I know we've tried to make this into a gray area, but it isn't. Believe it or not, the Treasury Department and the ATF are not as stupid as they are made out to be, and the intent would be recognized.

The odds of getting caught are not great- just like with speeding most people do it and don't get caught but it doesn't make it legal.

Since we do not condone discussion of illegal activity, and we have about ten thousand posts already discussing "creative" ways to try to pretend to make it pseudo-legal, this conversation is not productive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back