Can you brew a hefeweizen with safale t58?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ali01

Reaction score
That's the only wheat beer yeast I can find in my country at the moment
No more m20

Sure, there might be better yeast for a weizen, but with a T58 it will work just fine!

You can brew a wheat beer with T58 but I don't think it will have the same flavor profile as a Hefeweizen. It may turn out as more of a witbier.

But you can definitely ferment a wheat beer with T58. Be forewarned that T58 is a pretty violent fermenter and liable to make a mess of a wheat beer if you do not use a blow off tube.

T58 will leave it a little fruitier, so I agree that it would be closer to a Wit. I second using a blowoff tube with that. Wheats usually foam up pretty good, and with T58 being VERY active, it could blow the top off with an airlock.

You can brew a wheat beer with T58 but I don't think it will have the same flavor profile as a Hefeweizen. It may turn out as more of a witbier.

But you can definitely ferment a wheat beer with T58. Be forewarned that T58 is a pretty violent fermenter and liable to make a mess of a wheat beer if you do not use a blow off tube.
Thanks for the reply
I never use airlocks
For me, a thick blowoff tube is always the way to go
Better safe than sorry
I really want a wheat beer with a little banana flavor
M20 was my preference but it's not available in my country at the moment

If fermented warm (25°C) T-58 does give a lot of banana in my experience, but it doesn't stay for long, after a month or so it is gone from the beer.

So i would recommend to ferment around 20°C.

Made a wort with an og of 1.048
But the final volume was lower than I expected so I added 1L of water from my RO system
I think it has a filter to remove chlorine, not sure if I've done the right thing
I'm fermenting at 21.6c, hoping to get a lot of banana

If fermented warm (25°C) T-58 does give a lot of banana in my experience, but it doesn't stay for long, after a month or so it is gone from the beer.
This was what I was about to say. Ferment T58 around 25-26°C and you'll get a fair bit of banana esters thrown, though as mentioned it does fade over time.

This was what I was about to say. Ferment T58 around 25-26°C and you'll get a fair bit of banana esters thrown, though as mentioned it does fade over time.
My mini fridge can't go above 21.6, the thermostat sensor is inside the fv
I'm hoping to get bananas with that temp
Didn't wanna risk making fusel alcohols

Results
I brewed this beer two weeks ago
Checked it after a week and there were some clumps floating on the top
I ended up dumping that beer
But I regret it
Brewed the same beer, this time I really sealed everything air tight but there were more particles, floating, I realized they were parts of the krausen, had a sip, tasted fine, wasn't green at all, there are some banana notes, it smells like banana too, like rotten banana, or ripe banana
Bottled conditioned 6 hours ago and I can already see some fermentation going on, bottles have become rigid a bit, I think they'll be carbonated till tomorrow but I'll let them sit in the bottle for the next two weeks, I might open one bottle tomorrow and check the head retention, I'm so excited about this one cause this is my first homebrew that doesn't taste bad

A bit of advice Never dump a beer out without tasting the uncarbonated green beer 1st.
A bad beer ferment will never kill you -just a sip and you know it's bad, THEN dump.
It tastes reasonable, carb it and age it, maybe age a long time (if it's not a wheat beer that will lose it's desirable esters, that is)

Wheat beers are traditionally consumed young, so by the time the banana goes, it's already past it's prime!

The bottles have become rigid? Must be using PET bottles then.
Properly carbed may take days...... I've never used plastic PET bottles to condition in, maybe some1 else will chime in on that one.
Glass bottles scarce there?

The bottles have become rigid? Must be using PET bottles then.
Properly carbed may take days...... I've never used plastic PET bottles to condition in, maybe some1 else will chime in on that one.
Glass bottles scarce there?
I've used both, I usually use some pet bottles too to have some idea of how much pressure is inside the bottles

A bit of advice Never dump a beer out without tasting the uncarbonated green beer 1st.
A bad beer ferment will never kill you -just a sip and you know it's bad, THEN dump.
It tastes reasonable, carb it and age it, maybe age a long time (if it's not a wheat beer that will lose it's desirable esters, that is)

Wheat beers are traditionally consumed young, so by the time the banana goes, it's already past it's prime!
That is very much true
But I could also taste some fusels in there
I might've underpitched

It is always a good idea to include one plastic bottle with all the glass to serve as a carbonation indicator.
Seriously cuts down on prematurely popped tops :)

Cheers!

Back