Are the sediments in a bottle of hefeweizen brewed with t58 drinkable?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ali01

Reaction score
I ask because people who pour a hefeweizen usually pour the sediments into the glass, on the head of the beer

I haven't tried it, but yes, if you want to drink it, give it a shot and see how you like it. There's no reason you shouldn't try it; it won't hurt you. You may like it, whereas someone else may not. Pour a glass, or a small cup, or whatever, and dump some of the sediment on it, and you may have discovered your next favorite version.

yes...all yeast is edible. You like bread, don't you?

But typically, most beers are drunk without the yeast. Leave the sediment when you pour a glass.

But yes, hefeweizen and similar styles are meant to be drunk with the yeast.

I ask because people who pour a hefeweizen usually pour the sediments into the glass, on the head of the beer
A more proper pour would be to pour 2/3 to 3/4 then swirl the remaining beer to rouse the sediment to pour in. I think it would be less noticeable on the head and distribute the yeast for a nice haze.

I've had one belgian dubbel fermented with M31 yeast with which I had to add the yeast sediment to the glass to really get the fruitiness and mouthfeel. I've observed this after the beer was already a few weeks in the bottle and the yeast floculated out of the beer. When the beer was young and still lots of yeast was in the beer I did not notice this phenomena. I was confused a little bit about it as I was wondering why the beer lost it's good qualities but solved it like already described.

Every yeast behaves a little differently. For example with the saisons I've brewed recently using, BE-134 and Belle Saison there is no need at all to add yeast sediment to the glass even after weeks in the bottle, since there's still enough yeast in the beer due to yeast being less floculent to give proper flavor and aroma.

It's good to learn about the properties of the yeast and act accordingly to achieve desirable results.

Back