Can you break a bazooka screen with the weight of an immersion chiller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whahoppened

Reaction score
Recently I invested in a new kettle with a valve, and a bazooka screen. I just used them to brew my first all-grain batch (a success as far as I can tell). I also did the boil in the new kettle with the screen still attached inside. When it came time to chill the wort, I was nervous about putting my copper immersion chiller directly in the kettle, since it would be sitting directly on top of the screen and could potentially bend it, or worse, mess up the valve threading. Is this a legit worry? Has anyone else let an immersion chiller rest on top of a bazooka screen?

Also, should I wrap the threading on the screen in teflon tape before using it again? I want to be as nice as I can be to the valve threading, but I was worried about the tape melting in the boil since some of it would be in direct contact with the mash and/or wort.

is it a "true" bazooka screen, like at the hbs? or a homemade one?

the store-bought versions are pretty hefty, i doubt they would collapse under the weight of a copper IC. but that's just my educated guess.

Back