Can you add honey to primary or secondary Fermetation to add flavor and boost ABV?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah. Only thing is that it could take a long time to get through the honey. Or it will start fermenting like mad. If youre pouring honey directly from the jar, make sure you sanitize the top part before you do.

Yeah. Only thing is that it could take a long time to get through the honey. Or it will start fermenting like mad. If youre pouring honey directly from the jar, make sure you sanitize the top part before you do.

I was thinking about boiling it with some water and a little yeast nutrient since since my primary fermenting is stuck at 1.024 anyway, that way I kill 2 birds with one stone, boost ABV and unstick the fermenting.

How long is a long time to get through the honey? another week?

Thanks! :mug:

Depends on how much. I honestly can't say because each yeast acts differently. There might be some pros here who are much more equipped to answer this for you.

that sounds like a great idea, just make sure you don't burn the honey. Or you'll end up with a very dark pale ale. Although... bochet pale ale.... mmmmm

2lb to 15 gallons? That shouldn't take too long. S05 should eat right through that. But they might get lazy and not continue after they finish the honey. Either way if it doesn't the extra alcohol should make the higher gravity less of an issue. And it sounds delicious.

Honey contains invert sugar, and it will drive the yeast mad. I don't have tons of experience, but theoretically it might not help your stuck fermentation, that may have to do more with the non-fermentable sugars that resulted in the additions of adjuncts and such things. Also with mash temperatures and how "fermentable" your wort is. If the dextrose and fructose is already inverted (as is the case for honey), then the yeast might stop actively inverting remaining disaccharides, due to the increased presence of already inverted saccharides.

You might not be able to get lower, or it might work well, but you'll definately get an abv boost. I loved my first experiment with honey in fermentation, I did it 72 hours after fermenting started and I noticed it had slowed way down. It fermented out quite nicely as the gravity out of primary was 1.005 the thinner more bottom end of the golden ale style I was going for, and I loved the dry fininsh.

Thanks, I guess I am at wait and see mode now. I often through a pound of honey in when I make Ales but I have not had this low OG problem or a stuck fermentation before so it will be interesting to see what happens. I guess the best thing to do is be patient and let the yeast do its thing... I think after another 3 or 4 days I will check the gravity again and see if it has moved.

Thanks for the comments guys. :mug:

Back