Can transferring too much dry hops (2ozs) clog my popet?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoppypoppy

Reaction score
I did a second dry hop in my IPA of 2ozs. I used pellets hops and put them in without a bag. I am racking to my keg after two days. I didn't think this one though and now I am thinking the hops won't drop to the bottom before I rack to the keg. I rack with a speidel fermenter via the spigot on the bottom. I am concerned I will transfer a lot of the hop particles.

1) if I transfer a lot of the dry hop will 2 ozs be enough to clog my dip tube?

2) if the hops will present a problem what's the best way to install a filter at the bottom of the dip tube?

3) if a filter is added to the bottom of the dip tube would that causing extra foaming if I bottle off the keg?

Unfortunately, I can't wait an extra few days to let the hops clear. I usually do my second dry hop in the keg with a bag, so don't mind the first few pours having hop particules. I am just concerned about the popet clogging.

I have an idea and have tested with pellets in water. The idea is transferring to a bottling bucket and then using a mesh filter in front of the spigot. I know I am introducing oxygen into the beer but figured it's no different than when I bottled.

Thoughts, suggestions?

Yes, it will clog the dip tube/poppet; it's happened to me.

Instead of putting a filter at the bottom of the dip tube (which will eventually clog up) wrap some cheese cloth around the end of your racking cane so you can clear it off while racking to the keg.

Latest posts

Back