Can This Marriage Be Saved?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flashman

Reaction score
After some years away from homebrewing, we decided to brew up a couple of recipes, build a kegerator and get back into brewing.

Brewed the beer, a his & hers, built the kegerator, carbonated, tasted.

She wanted something Corona-like (hey, you single guys out there, stop laughing), which turned out something like a Tecate ale. Not bad mind you, definitely drinkable but definitely meh. Kind of thin.
Mine is a Belgian Trippel and turned out great. The wife, no stranger to Belgians and doublebocks and such, is well aware of that.

So here's the question - and I didn't find it when searching - assuming this 5 gallons will go fairly quickly, would it be possible to "stiffen" an already carbonated brew with say a few bottles of Optimator or something like it poured into the keg?

Please, no heresy lectures. I'm just trying to see if I could easily introduce a miracle cure to improve one keg for as long as it takes to drain it. No more quasi-Tecate at this house.

Welcome back to brewing. It has missed you.

To answer your question; I've never done it but I don't see why you couldn't give it a shot if you think it's that terrible. I'm not sure how much of a difference a couple bottles of Optimator would make in a 5 gallon keg though. I think you'd have to add something much more extreme.

Big thing to remember is that adding great beer to bad beer wont fix the bad beer...it'll merely cover it up a little bit. Kind of like spraying yourself with cologne instead of taking a shower.

Never done it but I think you could oxidize the beer by just pouring the new beer in there. You'd need to siphon, which sounds like a PITA.
You might instead try "blending" the crappy beer into a glass with something else. It might take a few to find a good combo.

But if it were me, I'd just re-brew her something and fk- it. My life is too short to drink crappy beer

Hmm,
Here is your answer, invite all your free loading friends and relatives over for burgers and hot dogs, serve them the Tecate clone. Remember to hide the good beer untill they have all left.
Then rebrew something for the both of you.

Hmm,
Here is your answer, invite all your free loading friends and relatives over for burgers and hot dogs, serve them the Tecate clone. Remember to hind the good beer untill they have all left.
Then rebrew something for the both of you.

ding ding ding! We have a winner, this is what I would do! :tank:

Wilcesar, that's essentially how it went down. Once the faux Tecate started flowing, and with a heat index hovering around 100, we downed hot dogs and beer and drained the whole 5 gallons. Not that people didn't hit the Trip pretty hard as well. The wife worried needlessly. There's nothing another day of settling and people who put limes in beers can't improve.

Latest posts

Back