Can standard bottles handl 4 vol CO2?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gannawdm

Reaction score
I'm brewing a Belgian Golden Strong from Brewing Classic Styles. It calls for carbonating at 4 vol. CO2 which equates to 11.5 oz. of corn sugar for a 6.75 gal. batch. Can standard bottles handle that level of carbonation? I fear bottle bombs.

Maybe, if you keep them cold and avoid moving or shaking them anyhow. I reliably get a few bottle bombs from a batch primed at 3+ volumes if it either rises in temperature quickly, gets shaken/moved, or both. Four volumes would really be pushing it. I've never primed that high, though, so I can't really say for sure.

Recheck your numbers. 11.5 ozs seems high. I would have thought it would be closer to 10 ozs.

I regularly bottle at 3 volumes and have not had any problems.

Recheck your numbers. 11.5 ozs seems high. I would have thought it would be closer to 10 ozs.

Actual weight of sugar needed is dependent upon volume and max temperature of beer. In this case, we're talking about a 6.5 gallon batch. The temp is unknown, so that number could be high or low.

Actual weight of sugar needed is dependent upon volume and max temperature of beer. In this case, we're talking about a 6.5 gallon batch. The temp is unknown, so that number could be high or low.

Please check numbers before you provide this type of comment. Also we are talking about 6.75 gallons. Using Palmer's Nomograph, at 65 F you get 4 volumes for 6.75 gallons with about 10 ozs of corn sugar. Using 11.5 ozs, your beer needs to be about 100F when bottling to get 4 volumes.

I was trying to indicate to the OP that he should re-check his numbers because he might have a problem, without saying outright that he had made a mistake.

I meant to hit the '7' key, though I see I did not. My apologies for that. Given that this is a Belgian brew, that 65F temp just as easily could have been 85F. We just don't know. With my comment, I had hoped to at least make sure the OP was taking temperature into account. At an 85F fermentation, by the way, it looks like 12oz of dextrose would give 4 volumes, using the tastybrew calculator. Perhaps there is a good bit of difference in these calculators?

Anyway, OP, what we're both saying here is make sure you use a good carbonation calculator. It'll save you some trouble, though they do seem to differ. Maybe check a couple and compare results.

Latest posts

Back