Can someone help me identify this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

end

Reaction score
Hello all!

I am wondering if someone can help me figure out what it happening with my beer. I bottled one in a clear bottle so I could take a good photo, but so far all four of my batches (2 beer/2 cider) have had something like this happen. The middle of the beer is crystal clear, but there appears to be a bunch of floating stuff at the top. The bottles were washed thoroughly and sanitized. There's a fine layer of yeast at the bottom of the bottles, but they all have this funky floating layer. It doesn't seem to affect the taste of the beer (or cider), but it looks hideous when it is poured into a glass.

The bottle you see here has been sitting for 5 weeks a cool-room temp, and refrigerated for 48 hours. Any suggestions for getting it to sink/preventing this problem? I would appreciate any advice! Thanks!

20160409_112154.jpg

20160409_112148.jpg

I had something similar happen on only one batch. Seemed to be yeast-like. Almost like a mini-krausen ring in the bottle from carbonating. What I did, and it's a bit of a pain, is to give bottles a quick swirl and put them back in the fridge for a couple more days. It gets that stuff at the neck into suspension, then time lets it settle out at the bottom where it should be. No idea as to the cause.

Back