Can some beers ruin the taste of later consumed beers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Remos112

Reaction score
So I experienced a very weird thing today and I'll try to explain it as good as I can. So todat I drank a few beers with my father, they tasted just fine.
Then I decided to pop open an 11 month old brewferm Gran cru based brew. And it didn;t taste bad or infected or anything but it just didn't have a flavour I enjoyed and @10 ABV I decided to just throw it away rather then drink it just to get drunk.

Things got weird after that, we opened up another homebrew after that, one we both know and love and it just didn't taste the same, almost if we still tasted the grand cru. Hour after that we tried a Chouffe solei and will this tasted slightly better, it still seemed off. Hours after that even just plain shop brought pilsener still tastes off to me. Could there be something in the Grand Cru influencing the taste buds or could it just be between the ears? Love to hear your opinions on this one cause it;s one of the weirdest things I have ever experienced.

Thanks ín advance

In my experience, if I nuke my taste buds with a high-IBU, high abv IPA before switching to a hefe, it's almost like my buds are numb and the hefe tastes off.

Cant provide any data to back that up other than what I have experienced, though.

In my experience, if I nuke my taste buds with a high-IBU, high abv IPA before switching to a hefe, it's almost like my buds are numb and the hefe tastes off.
Thanks for your reply .High bitterness I have read before, but this beer was very estery by lack of any word, when it was younger it tasted like bananas and it was sweeter. Some banana still lingers on, and it is way sweeter then what I can enjoy hence throwing it away. But it's almost like every beer after that gets that same estery sweet banana taste, while it definetely shouldn't be in there.

Some additional info about the cursed brew:
18 liter batch
2 cans of Brewferm Grand Cru LME
1kg of dark brown candi sugar
0.35kg honey
Fermented with Wyeast 1762
No extra hops, wich is why it's probably so off tasting now.
OG 1.090
FG 1.015

yes... same with wine. If you start with intense stuff (high IBU high gravity) your taste buds will not be able to appreciate more subtle beers.

I find that the first brew of any is the most tasteful, after that you are getting drunk....... I think it is really the alcohol numbing your taste buds. Or, maybe it is anything. A good steak doesn't taste as good if you had a greasy cheeseburger shortly before.....

Can some beers ruin the taste of later consumed beers?

Yes!

Start with light and dry, and work up to heavy and sweet. IBUs and Hop-Bombs just add additional complexity to the order.

Typically it's best to start off with lower gravity, less bitter beers and work your way up. However, I've found even that diminishes the quality of later beers. I came up with my own system where I start with just a couple beers I'm excited about and then switch over to something less special or even "boring" if I want to get drunk.

As everyone has said...yes what you drank before will effect how you perceive the next beer. Then Add in everything @Kee said. but don't forget the sours, If I start my night with sours I can't taste a damn thing for a while after.

As everyone has said...yes what you drank before will effect how you perceive the next beer. Then Add in everything @Kee said. but don't forget the sours, If I start my night with sours I can't taste a damn thing for a while after.

I actually like to start with a Sour, it is generally lighter; like an aperitif.

Each to his own.

I always eat a small handful of shelled salted peanuts, then rinse my mouth with cold water before switching from one beer style to another style. I usually start with a HB stout then peanuts/water, then pour a brown ale. Peanuts/water works for me.

I always eat a small handful of shelled salted peanuts, then rinse my mouth with cold water before switching from one beer style to another style. I usually start with a HB stout then peanuts/water, then pour a brown ale. Peanuts/water works for me.
Great tip! I'll keep that in mind!

Start with light and dry, and work up to heavy and sweet. IBUs and Hop-Bombs just add additional complexity to the order.

Exactly. I have a friend who every time we go somewhere and do a taster flight he always starts with IPA's and other heavy beers. Then when he drinks a light one he complains that they are dull and tasteless.

No matter how many times I tell him to switch it around he thinks I am crazy.

Exactly. I have a friend who every time we go somewhere and do a taster flight he always starts with IPA's and other heavy beers. Then when he drinks a light one he complains that they are dull and tasteless.

No matter how many times I tell him to switch it around he thinks I am crazy.

Yup stouts/IPA's are always last on my flight, after i have enjoyed the pilsners, kolsch's and hefe's

Nah, some beer really is just dull and tasteless. Appetizers, Intermezzos and after dinner mints are good though, keep that saliva flowing cleaning the palette.

Good lord IBU 149?!!!!
I found the Chouffe Houblon extremely bitter (yet deliciously balanced)and this seems to be a numble 59 ibu's is the palate wrecker stuff actually drinkable?

I bet after drinking a 149 IBU beer, your belches really burn :D

Btw, its always a good idea to keep shelled salted peanuts in your car just in case the constable pulls you over when leaving your local craft brewery. Peanuts absorb the "beer smell" so the LEO won't catch a whiff of beer.

Latest posts

Back