Can it be saved?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewman551

Reaction score
My first batch of apple cider did not turn out well, and I was wondering if it can be saved, or if it's just too early and I'm being impatient. Here are the basic details: Started with 5 gal fresh pressed apple cider on August 3rd. Dropped 5 crushed Campden tablets, and waited two days. Dissolved 1 and a half cups of brown sugar in one and a half cups of water on medium heat. After cooling, I added to the fermenter. Dissolved one packet of Red Star Wine yeast into a quarter cup of 100 degree water, per instructions, and followed with 5 teaspoons yeast nutrient. After 5 days in fermenter, airlock activity began to crawl to a bubble every other minute or so, so I aerated with a whisk until I had a nice froth. At this point it tasted like Woodchuck. On August 13th, I racked to secondary. 25 days later I back sweetened with about 15 tablespoons of Splenda, then racked to bottling bucket with priming sugar and bottled.

After two weeks, I opened one, and the apple flavor was gone, but it was slightly carbonated, so I put the whole lot into the fridge. Now, three weeks later, it tastes like water sweetened with Splenda. The OG was probably around 1.050, but I can't be sure, because I didn't have a hydrometer. The FG at bottling time was 1.005.

So, it has now been bottled for five weeks, two at room temp and three in the fridge. Is it ruined, or will the taste come back later on? Do I need to pull it out of the fridge and let it condition at room temp for a few more weeks? I just hate to lose all that work.
Thanks in advance.

Your process does not sound flawed. What did it taste like before you added the splenda? Did it have good flavor then?

Some sweeteners can overpower other tastes. I prefer to use more cider to backsweeten, or add spices to make the ciders taste more complex.

Started with 5 gal fresh pressed apple cider on August 3rd. Dropped 5 crushed Campden tablets, and waited two days.

Is this too many campden tablets?

I did the same and my yeast is refusing to work now (I waited about 27 hours, not two days).

I am thinking of moving it from carboy to a bucket and whipping some air into it as vigorously as my arms can handle, then adding in some energizer. Any thoughts?

Is this too many campden tablets?

I did the same and my yeast is refusing to work now (I waited about 27 hours, not two days).

I am thinking of moving it from carboy to a bucket and whipping some air into it as vigorously as my arms can handle, then adding in some energizer. Any thoughts?

That will get rid of the effects of the campden its true, but 1 tablet per gallon is the recommended amount. The tablets were created just for that "ease of use" factor.

Did you get any fermentation? How long has it been since you pitched the yeast?

Went through my notes and found my error. To quote Dr. Emmet Brown: "How could I have been so careless!?" I have powdered potassium metabisulphite and I mistakenly added 5 teaspoons! Yoi! No wonder it's dead!

I don't think this can be saved.

Your process does not sound flawed. What did it taste like before you added the splenda? Did it have good flavor then?

Some sweeteners can overpower other tastes. I prefer to use more cider to backsweeten, or add spices to make the ciders taste more complex.

It tasted a bit like WoodChuck before I added the Splenda, but it just wasn't sweet enough for the likes of my wife, so we added the sweetener. Now, 5 weeks later, it tastes like sweet water, and nothing else.

domilsean - according to the directions, 5 tablets is the recommended dose for 5 gallons, and I did get fermentation, according to the airlock. I just wonder if it will improve with age. Maybe several weeks or months in the fridge, or would you go room temp for a few weeks and then back to the fridge?

Went through my notes and found my error. To quote Dr. Emmet Brown: "How could I have been so careless!?" I have powdered potassium metabisulphite and I mistakenly added 5 teaspoons! Yoi! No wonder it's dead!

I don't think this can be saved.

Lol, that's quite a bit! All I can say is if you want to try aeration, you haven't got anything to lose!

domilsean - according to the directions, 5 tablets is the recommended dose for 5 gallons, and I did get fermentation, according to the airlock. I just wonder if it will improve with age. Maybe several weeks or months in the fridge, or would you go room temp for a few weeks and then back to the fridge?

I would leave it at room temp for now, ghen put it somewhere dark and cool. Your batch does sound like one of those that will need some aging to bring out the flavors again. Don't throw in the towel till spring time. :)

Back