Can I use this keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

easymode

Reaction score
Trying to find a cheap solution to force carbonate. I think it's better than messing with priming bottle, especially after my 18 bottles exploded.

Will this work as a cheap solution?

Tap-A-Draft Starter Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0064ODDOG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_ZpxMwb32DBA1X

WILL get expensive.

Cheaper would be a scale and brewing software to know the proper amount of priming sugar to add.

Personally, I hate bottling so I set up my keggerator and never looked back.

Does that thing have some kind of regulator?

I think the answers you're looking for are in the Q&A at the bottom.

Its very doubtful that you'll get the pressure levels required to force carbonate with standard CO2 cartridges. They don't have the volume nor the pressure to do much more than push the liquid out. You may get up to 30psi or so, but it won't stay there for long, as there's just no volume in those little tanks. It would take a lot of them to carbonate correctly.

I'd suggest getting a cheap used Corny and a cheap regulator and use a Paintball tank and a picnic tap. Might be able to do that for ~$100-$125 or so. Plus, you can upgrade your tank later if you want and keep the regulator. Use craigslist IMHO. I see regulators, corny kegs and related items all day long on there for well under market value.

With those tap-a-draft, you can't really do much with them in the way of upgrading.

I have a six tap keezer with "real" kegs in it, but I also have a bunch of TAD units that I started with. I still use them for small experiment batches, and for that, they are extremely useful. They fit in normal refrigerators, or even on shelves in my garage during winter.

They absolutely will force carbonate. A full CO2 cartridge is exhausted for that. It takes about 5-7 days. Afterwards, you can serve for a couple days and then you'll need a second cartridge to continue serving with proper carbonation. Interestingly, if you brew English beers that stylistically fit with lower carbonation, the TAD limping along on its first cartridge is a nice match.

They are cheaper than kegs for sure - but once you make the commitment to really get into brewing and serving, they are easily outgrown. Still, I think they have a place in the home brewery and I use them.

Back