Can I use old oxy-acetylene tank for co2 gas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pgenius

Reaction score
I was cleaning my basement up a little today, and I came across a fairly old (70s maybe? :fro:) oxygen-acetylene tank (for welding). I was wondering if I could have it rehydroed and use it as a co2 tank for my kegs?

292b281.jpg

That's an oxygen tank. You can probably swap it for a co2 tank at the gas supplier. I would keep it and use it to oxygenate the wort. I use a tank the same size for that purpose.

That's an oxygen tank. You can probably swap it for a co2 tank at the gas supplier. I would keep it and use it to oxygenate the wort. I use a tank the same size for that purpose.

You're right, but it has been exclusively used for oxy-acetylene. Thanks for the input :mug:

No one will fill it unless you get it tested. At that age it probably should be rebuilt at the least.

Ironic, I just found the same tank (grandpa's old oxygen-acetylene torch) and was wondering the same thing. The regulator on it "looks" to be the same thread as my little 5lb Co2 tank's regulator. It's still under pressure with O2. I'll try to get mine by the welding shop this week and I'll post my results.

Take it to your local gas place or welding supply place. They will most likely give you some credit towards a CO2 tank. They're not going to want to fill it with the wrong gas.

Joshman1 said:
Ironic, I just found the same tank (grandpa's old oxygen-acetylene torch) and was wondering the same thing. The regulator on it "looks" to be the same thread as my little 5lb Co2 tank's regulator. It's still under pressure with O2. I'll try to get mine by the welding shop this week and I'll post my results.

Thanks! Please report back. I'm fairly certain that mine is my grandfather's old welding tank too. He died in the late 1970s, so mine is at the least 35-40 years old. I'm not sure where my local welding shop is but I know 3 gas places & and a fire extinguisher store nearby that would swap for a newly rehydroed co2 tank.

You're right, but it has been exclusively used for oxy-acetylene. Thanks for the input :mug:
it still always contained only oxygen, it doesnt matter what it was used for. in an oxy-acetyline setup you have one tank of oxygen, and a seperate tank of acetylene. they only mix at the point of ignition.

The regulator on it "looks" to be the same thread as my little 5lb Co2 tank's regulator.

it isnt the same. it might be the same thread pitch, but its probably opposite-threaded (left hand). if not, then its a different thread pitch or different valve entirely. oxygen and other gas tanks and accessories are specifically made to be non-interchangable, and for very good reason.

if you wanted to change an oxygen tank into a CO2 tank, you probably could (you just cant do the reverse). you would need to take it to someone who specializes in that sort of thing and they would put a different valve on it and hydrotest it for you. its probably cheaper to trade it in for a nice new/used CO2 tank with a current hydro date.

Its probably cheaper to trade it in for a nice new/used CO2 tank with a current hydro date.

Exactly. Converting or rehydroing it is irrelevant to me now. I'm not going to be using this tank for co2, just trading it in.

Back