Can I use maltodextrin to sweeten the beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ali01

Reaction score
I've been browsing forums and haven't got my answer yet, some say it will and some say it won't
I kindly ask people with real experiences with maltodextrin to tell me if it adds any sweetness? Can't find lactose in my local stores

I've tasted commercial beer with maltodextrin where I could have sworn it was lactose, but the brewer said absolutely not, he doesn't use lactose because he doesn't want to have to declare its use for the lactose-intolerant. So... I used to think maltodextrin was not sweet, but now I am not so sure. I think if you use a lot of it, it can promote an impression of sweetness, even if by itself it is not actually sweet. I myself have never used it but it might be worth a shot. If eventually I experiment with it, I would start with about 1 pound per 5 gallons if fullness and potentially sweetness is desired.

I've tasted commercial beer with maltodextrin where I could have sworn it was lactose, but the brewer said absolutely not, he doesn't use lactose because he doesn't want to have to declare its use for the lactose-intolerant. So... I used to think maltodextrin was not sweet, but now I am not so sure. I think if you use a lot of it, it can promote an impression of sweetness, even if by itself it is not actually sweet. I myself have never used it but it might be worth a shot. If eventually I experiment with it, I would start with about 1 pound per 5 gallons if fullness and potentially sweetness is desired.
Yes, lactose is expensive and not easy to find in my area
I'll give maltodextrin a shot
Gonna use it in a low abv homebrew
Will try that and share the results

I've used one pound in a chocolate milk stout (with one pound of lactose). That beer is velvety smooth and rich, but no one has said that it tastes sweet. Also used half a pound in a nut brown ale that was not at all sweet.

I use maltodextrin in the drink mix I make to use while cycling. It's not perceived as sweet at all considering it's a sugar. I have to add a little sugar of some other sort to knock the edge off of it. However it is supposed to add body to a thin beer. And perhaps if you get that thin taste out, it might be perceived as a little sweeter.

The big thing for maltodextrin is that it typically doesn't ferment. That's why you can add it for body to beer that's ready to bottle. You might sweeten some with monkfruit or stevia which are artificial sweeteners. Otherwise I don't know what other sugar you'll easily find anywhere that won't wind up getting fermented by the yeast.

But perhaps those too are hard to easily find where you are at a decent price.

I use maltodextrin in the drink mix I make to use while cycling. It's not perceived as sweet at all considering it's a sugar. I have to add a little sugar of some other sort to knock the edge off of it. However it is supposed to add body to a thin beer. And perhaps if you get that thin taste out, it might be perceived as a little sweeter.

The big thing for maltodextrin is that it typically doesn't ferment. That's why you can add it for body to beer that's ready to bottle. You might sweeten some with monkfruit or stevia which are artificial sweeteners. Otherwise I don't know what other sugar you'll easily find anywhere that won't wind up getting fermented by the yeast.

But perhaps those too are hard to easily find where you are at a decent price.
Thank you for the reply
Yes I've never heard of those two
I can't only get xylitol but I have no experience using that

I can't only get xylitol but I have no experience using that
can or can not?

Xylitol isn't fermented. If you can get a small amount, just add some to any beer you have at the moment and then you'll see what it does for the sweetness and taste perceptions.

It probably tastes about the same when added to the poured glass that it does for when added prior to bottling. But that's just a guess on my part as I've not needed to try sweetening beer.

can or can not?

Xylitol isn't fermented. If you can get a small amount, just add some to any beer you have at the moment and then you'll see what it does for the sweetness and taste perceptions.

It probably tastes about the same when added to the poured glass that it does for when added prior to bottling. But that's just a guess on my part as I've not needed to try sweetening beer.
Thank you, I just feel that just a little bit more sweetness will allow more malt flavors to come forward
I could be wrong tho

Thank you, I just feel that just a little bit more sweetness will allow more malt flavors to come forward
I could be wrong tho
Xylitol is toxic to dogs, so beware if you have one.

Can you get stevia, aspartame, acesulfame potassium, or any of the other diet beverage sweeteners? Like xylitol, they won't ferment, so they'll stay sweet.

I've used one pound in a chocolate milk stout (with one pound of lactose). That beer is velvety smooth and rich, but no one has said that it tastes sweet. Also used half a pound in a nut brown ale that was not at all sweet.
Was pound of maltodextrin for a 5 gal batch? Or were you making 10 gal or 15 batch? Never used the stuff before. I’ve used calcium chloride and and higher mash temps to bring out maltiness and better body. I’d like to try maltodextrin and see if I get a perceived sweetness. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back