can i use food oils to lube my keg orings?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably, though it's possible that it might impart a flavor to your dispensed beer. Just a guess, though.

I use Lubri-Film, which is odorless and tasteless. A 4 oz. tube will last a very long time.

-Steve

I am pretty certain the real answer is "no". Vegetable oils like that will break down over a very short period of time. They will become rancid and who knows what will find a home in it.

Keg lube is a petroleum gel (think food grade Vasoline). It will take a much longer time to degrade, I don't think it will go rancid and not much is going to find it an inviting place to live.

If I really, really, really had to substitute I would consider Vasoline. But it would be an emergency thing and I would get some keg lube just as quickly as possible.

I prefer plumber grade silicone lube since it's non-petroleum based and won't degrade rubber over time. You can pickup a small vial in the plumbing department at Lowes or Home Depot for $3 bucks.

037155886937.jpg

no food oil. no oil period.

keg lube.
or if you have to, go to an 'adult' store and get some silicone based lube.

Back