Should I toss this mead or is it okay

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jotan1988

Reaction score
So I brewed a mead and when I went to rack it I used a large 5 gallon vegetable oil jug and I used sanitizer and boiling water 4 times and apparently a little bit of the vegetable oil was still in the jug I've smelled and drank it it's fine but do you think the small amount of vegetable oil floating on top will effect it

So I brewed a mead and when I went to rack it I used a large 5 gallon vegetable oil jug and I used sanitizer and boiling water 4 times and apparently a little bit of the vegetable oil was still in the jug I've smelled and drank it it's fine but do you think the small amount of vegetable oil floating on top will effect it
No problem.

I'm not sure if you're aware, for future reference, sanitizer is not a cleaner....it is just a sanitizer. Boiling water will only get rid of oil if used with either soap or PBW (PBW Cleaner - 1 lb. | MoreBeer)
As far as the oil goes, just make sure when you rack you mead to a new vessel, rack from under the oil & you should be fine.
I hope this helps you.
Happy meading 😎

Latest posts

Back