Can I test wort 3 weeks later?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vulture165

Reaction score
I took out a sample of my wort 3 weeks ago (right after brewing, but before pitching the yeast) only to discover my hydrometer was nowhere to be found. I covered it with saran wrap and it's been sitting out at room temp since. It has separated out (trub at the bottom).

Will I still get an accurate reading if I measure it now?

Assuming it's been fermenting, it's probably at terminal gravity by now. Your hydrometer reading will be the final gravity, not the original gravity.

Saran wrap? :confused:

Edit: Oh, you meant you covered the sample with saran wrap. I imagine it will give you the original gravity reading if you mix it up, but I've never heard such a ruckus so I'm really not sure. It may have gone through some changes over the last few weeks that would alter the gravity. Not really sure here. You could just calculate your OG and get pretty close.

The chances of it being good after sitting at room temp for three weeks are questionable. Even if you didn't pitch the yeast, it has probably picked up some on it's own, or some form of bacteria. Either way, your sample is no longer a viable indicator of what the stating gravity of the wort was three weeks back. You may as well calculate what it should have been and go from there.

Tom

Back