Can I switch out connectors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DocDriza

Reaction score
I was able to get some kegs off someone. I hope this is a clear enough photo. Does any one know if it's possible to switch these connectors with what you see on corny kegs now?
20180528_172726.jpeg

I was able to get some kegs off someone. I hope this is a clear enough photo. Does any one know if it's possible to switch these connectors with what you see on corny kegs now?View attachment 572547
You got pin lock kegs. They are still fully workable, although not as desireable as Ball lock kegs.
I do believe you can swap them out, buying new posts. The other difference with ball lock kegs is they do have a manual pressure relief valve on the lid. Not an absolute necessity, but super handy. Unfortunately, if youre set on using ball lock kegs, youre likely going to spend more on parts to fully convert them then you spent on the pin locks.

Nothing wrong with using pinlocks! Just get some pinlock disconnects.
If you get MFL QDs, you can swap em out with the MFL ball lock QDs on your lines at will.
Just pushing a loose gas QD on the gas post is the same as pulling the ring on a manual PRV.

The conversion kits to ball lock are pricey. The PRV lids are almost half the price of a used keg... All together, I'd stick with what you've got.

First off, thanks for setting me straight to what they are all called. I had NO idea what to Google.

Didnt spend much on the pin lock kegs. They practically came with the kegerator I bought. It seems like the parts cost less than a brand new keg. Seems worth converting. There are two of these kegs that were given to me.

A while ago I bought a ball lock keg brand new at $60. I think I would like to stick with the ball lock. Thanks for the help thus far.

You can change the connectors but be aware theres more than one thread size I believe

look at the embossing on the side of the keg to see the manufacturer and model. Once you know that, you will be able to easily find the thread size and pitch for both the gas and liquid (sometimes they are different).

I actually use a lot of both kinds of keg (right around 90 kegs currently), and use John Guest fittings on my QD's, so switching is really simple for me.

Latest posts

Back