Can I save yeast from a dry hopped beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vance

Reaction score
I brewed a beer with Wyeast 1318 (LAIII) over the weekend, and ran out of time to make a starter and save yeast from that like I had planned. I dry hopped today with 3 oz of hops. I've never tried washing or reusing yeast in any way before - am I able to save anything from this batch to use again, or should I just buy another pack next time I brew and make time for a starter?

You always save the yeast after dry hopping. Unless you use a secondary that doesn't happen much these days theres no way around it. Try dry hopping with a bag it keeps all the hops out of the yeast. I try to use the slurry for the same style beers so the similar flavors blend. IPA slurry is used for another IPA, Irish red for Irish red ETC.

Didn't use a bag this time so too late for that, lol. I mostly brew IPAs so I'm not too worried about any residual hop flavors - will there be any?

Back