Can I reuse an empty PBW bucket?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hercher

Reaction score
I just finished off the last of a 50 lb bucket of PBW, which I've had for probably 15 years. If I thoroughly clean and rinse (I guess mostly rinse), can I use this bucket for other purposes, such as converting it into a bottling bucket, secondary fermenter. Failing that, is there any reason I couldn't use it for grain storage or sanitizing parts?

Thank you.

Well my little 4 pound PBW container is made of food grade plastic (#2). So yours probably is as well. Good luck and post some pics when you get it rigged up!

great idea

In fact I think I might keep my smaller containers to store brewing salts after reading this.

So the bottom of the bucket is marked #2 HDPE -- is this good to use? I guess part of my concern is do any of the chemicals in the PBW get into the plastic, especially given that the bucket is as old as it is.

FWIW. HDPE(#2) can be an FDA approved food safe plastic BUT it has to come from virgin material. That is no recycled HDPE is allowed into containers marketed for contact with food.
So your PBW container is NOT considered 'food safe' since it has contained chemicals that would be harmful if ingested.
Whether or not 5-star bought the bucket as food safe before putting their product in it is another story. There are also many people who use Home Depot buckets(which are not food safe) for mashing/fermenting. Any long term effects are unknown at this point.

I do'nt see a problem, as long as you give it a soak in PBW....

bwaahhaahha...

joking aside, i'm sure its' fine, i'd call five star just to make sure though

Latest posts

Back