Can I refilter after kegging/carborating?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J-BREWER

Reaction score
Dumb question, but I'm sure it has been asked before (I did search forums/Google but couldn't find my specific question).

My kegged American IPA is super cloudy/lots of hop particulate matter - I want this beer super clean/clear.

First - is this recoverable? Beer taste fine but I want to salavage the presentation.

Second - the dumb idea I had -- and this is really why I'm posting is that if I let it sit in the keg for a few days I should be able to suck all the bottom particulate matter out - but for the stuff that is "suspended" and immune to gravity :) ... and here's the dumb part... can I open the keg get a strainer/cheese cloth and poor my carbed beer over this filter to at least capture all the crap -- then poor back into the keg and recarb?

I have read that exposing to air runs a risk of backteria but the % content is in the 8% range. (I'm saying that hoping that the it'll be high enough to prevent bacteria).

If not my idea to get the floaters out -- what other options do I have?

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• 15334284748512785679732993509293.jpg
    15334284748512785679732993509293.jpg
    893 KB · Views: 35
Tons of options!

Gelatin is an easy one. De-gas, add gelatin, chill, rack to new keg, Shazam! You're good to go.

You may not even need that. Try chilling to 30ish. My guess is a lot of that settles out.

Thank you for the recommendations!

The keg is currently chilling at 30'ish. How long would you recommend/think it will take? Hours days weeks?

If I do the gelatin route what's the recommended "recipe"? Like how much galatin : beer? And for how long?

So glad this is salvigable!!

-J

I use one pack of Knox unflavored gelatin, 1 cup of water, mix, warm in short bursts in microwave to 155-160 degrees let sit for 5-10 minutes. Dump it in and swirl and keep 32-35 degrees for 3 days.

I don't know if carbonation will mess with the gelatins potential or not. I always do it during cold crashing prior carbing, but I dont see why it wouldn't work like normal.

I wouldn't worry too much.
The first few keg pours are always a little cloudy as you're sucking up the junk in the bottom of the keg. This should improve dramatically over the first week in the keg and further clear over subsequent weeks.

RDWHAHB

The only time I worry is when the popit gets clogged more then once. I'll fine then do a keg to keg transfer. Because I dislike cleaning as much as the next brewer I tend to do everything in the primary, including dry hop gelatin fine then keg a clear beer.

Back