can I put a valve in my beer line?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scottfarcuz

Reaction score
I am looking for a way to lock up my kegorator. I know I can spend $40 or so for a tap lock but would a valve in my beer line also work? The fridge door has a lock on it. I'm new to all of this and from the start I thought I could just untap the keg when not in use and lock the fridge but the keg doesnt seem to cooperate. I find when I go to re tap the keg I get more foam than normal for the first glass or two.

If a valve will work could someone suggest what to get and where to get it from?

Thanks.

I don't think those clamps will work on a proper beverage line in a kegerator, and I don't think kinking the line is a good solution, either.

An inline valve would work fine, though.

Could always just keep the taps locked in the fridge (no shank). Would be a bit of a shame if you already have holes and shanks

Do you flush the line when you disconnect? I could see beer left in the line causing issues. What about electrifying it? That would surely keep the kids out.

Although it isn't much cheaper than the tap locks I guess I am going to just go with a valve similar to this.

http://alcoholcontrols.com/belishva.html

The only options I have seen that would work other than valves is untapping or the tap locks. untapping results in foam issues when I retap. Tap locks sound like they don't work very well and i need something fairly secure.

I don't think those clamps will work on a proper beverage line in a kegerator, and I don't think kinking the line is a good solution, either.

An inline valve would work fine, though.

Am I using the wrong tubing in my beer lines? I use 1/4" ID vinyl tubing, don't see why a plastic tubing clamp wouldn't work on that. Is "real" beverage tubing different?

Am I using the wrong tubing in my beer lines? I use 1/4" ID vinyl tubing, don't see why a plastic tubing clamp wouldn't work on that. Is "real" beverage tubing different?

"real" beverage tubing is about 1/4" thick. On my kegerator I have 3/16" ID 5/16" OD lines. Good luck getting that little clamp to actually cut off the flow.

I think the simple valve is a great idea.

My keezer has a coffin on top where my taps come out. My coffin has a hinged lid that lifts up for access to the back of the shanks and the beer lines going down into the freezer. I could easily splice a valve inside the coffin and only have to worry about locking down the lid to prevent unauthorized use.

...luckily my girls are still younger (9 and 11) and since my wife doesn't drink beer, I would only be locking myself out at this point.

Latest posts

Back