Can I plant rhizomes now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlc904

Reaction score
Hi, was at my local brew shop and they had some hop rhizomes left. They gave me a good deal on Mt. Hood and Saaz rhizomes. I'm worried about planting them this late in the season. I'm in west central illinois and its been around 100 degrees and dry lately. The girl at the shop told me to plant them now. They look like healthy rhizomes but I was wondering if 1. plant them now, 2. plant them in some pots inside or 3. try to store them in my refrigerator until fall or spring. What do you think, Thanks

Thanks for the reply yooper. I planted a cascade in spring of 2010 and it is doing very well, I was just worried about planting during the hottest time of the year, but I got these for a good price so if they die I won't be out much.

Ya know, I still got a bunch left in the fridge so I'll throw a few in the ground and we can compare notes this fall. I've never planted this late so it'll be interesting. The Chinook I stuck in the ground in mid June is going bananas at this point so we'll see! Talk to you later.

Latest posts

Back