can i pitch yeast a few days after brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liebertron

Reaction score
I have all the ingredients for two batches of beer but the yeast. Id like to brew tomorrow since I have free time, the yeast should be arriving on Monday in the mail. Can I brew the beer and pitch the yeast at a later date? Probably will sit in the primary for two days since I will do a yeast starter before pitching...

Thanks!

make sure your fermenter is very sanitized, and put vodka in the airlock to keep bacteria out. last beer i put yeast on was sitting for 4 days

You "could" do it sure....but I wouldn't. The sooner you pitch your yeast after brewing the less chance of contamination. By waiting up to 48 hours you asking for an infection. Remember we sanitize...not sterilize. There are wild yeasts, bacteria, etc...in our wort. The idea behind pitching the yeast as soon as possible is that the beer yeast will quickly out compete any wild yeast/bacteria. They do this by alcohol production and lowering the ph of the fermenting beer.

Back