Can i mix C10 an C20 to make C15?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnp

Reaction score
My recipe calls for crystal 15L, I have crystal 10L and 20L on hand. If I mix them in a 1:1 ratio will that taste similar to crystal 15L? Will the srm be 15L?

Thanks!

It will probably tase like Crystal 10 and 20 mixed...It may look similar, and it will probably work, just fine...but it wont be 15L..But it's close! :D

Go for it!

Color-wise, it'll be right on. Flavor wise, it will be just slightly off, but probably not even noticable.

The 10, 15, 20 refers to how many minutes the grain was roasted, so the Crystal 10 is just two-row that was roasted for 10 minutes, etc.

So, the characteristics are then a function of the amount of caramelization of the sugars in the malt. More roasting = more caramelization. When you are talking about grains that were only roasted for 10-20 minutes, they are contributing much more color than flavor, so you will be absolutely fine.

Yea, it should be fine. Iafebs is right- the numbers refer to lovibond color ratings.

You'll get something very close in color to a beer made with C15, but the taste won't be exact. I'd call it definitely close enough. I do this all the time, because most LHBS don't carry the full compliment of 5 degree crystals. You want to make sure you use two crystals very close in color though, because obviously the flavor differs a lot as the color changes. You might get the right color by mixing C10 and C80 instead of an intermediate crystal, but the flavor will be totally off- you'll have the dark fruit and burnt sugar flavors of the C80 and the caramelly-sweetness of C10.

Back