Can I make this work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whovous

Waterloo Sunset
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I want to add an inline thermometer to my setup, which is a single kettle eBIAB with continuously recirculating mash and no sparge. I have a Chugger SS pump and use a ball valve to control flow rates. I have just changed over to camlock fittings.

I want to put a Blichmann Brewmometer 3" dial thermometer on one side or the other of the ball valve. I am aware that I can avoid the problem I describe below and save money by using another brand, but I like the features offered. Basically, I'd like to take this parts list: http://www.brewpump.com/Stainless-Steel-Inline-Thermometer-Camlocks-p/ss-inline-therm-camlock.htm and substitute the Blichmann for the indicated thermometer.

The problem is simple: The Brewmometer has a 3" probe, while the setup shown has a 2" probe. If I install the Blichmann on one side of the T, it will be impossible to install the plug on the other side of the T. How do I make this work? I am pretty sure that shortening the probe is not an option.

Why not just use a T instead of a cross. The cam lock will give it some more room for a 3 inch probe. I have a 2 inch probe in mine, but if you swap the male and female connectors it will cover a 3 inch probe.

I am not sure of this, but I think using a T probe on my setup is going to wind up with the edge of the dial face resting on the kitchen counter with the dial facing towards the wall and away from me.

Blichmann makes a much more expensive thermometer with an adjustable face that looks like it should solve this problem elegantly, if spendily. https://www.homebrewery.com/Adjustable-Angle-BrewMometer-Weldless
It is meant to be used as a weldless kettle fitting, but can it work for me? The fitting is described as 1/2", but there is no mention of NPT, unlike the non-adjustable version I mentioned above which is clearly NPT. Am I correct in assuming that 1/2" thread and 1/2" NPT thread are not the same thing?

I think it should be clear by now that I am not visualizing all of this very well.

Back