Can I Make This Recipe With My Starter Kit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got the equipment/knowledge for making starters? I've had my eye on several big brews, but still don't do starters yet so I've been avoiding them. I personally would keep it simple for at least a few more brews, but go for it if you think you can. Skipping secondary would be fine.

Got the equipment/knowledge for making starters? I've had my eye on several big brews, but still don't do starters yet so I've been avoiding them. I personally would keep it simple for at least a few more brews, but go for it if you think you can. Skipping secondary would be fine.

I think I may have used the term starter in the wrong context. It is a beginner's kit. I know nothing about "starters" when it comes to brewing beer, except that they exist.

My concern was that the directions say this is a 6 gallon batch. I don't know if my 6.5 gallon bucket is big enough, or if I am reading the directions wrong.

Still learning :mug:

I think I may have used the term starter in the wrong context. It is a beginner's kit. I know nothing about "starters" when it comes to brewing beer, except that they exist.

My concern was that the directions say this is a 6 gallon batch. I don't know if my 6.5 gallon bucket is big enough, or if I am reading the directions wrong.

6.5 should be good...you'll probably need a blow off tube during fermentation but other than that you should be good to go. :mug:

Rig a blow off tube immediately! I didn't and in 10 hours I had a mess. This one took off fast fermenting. I let it age 2 weeks in the bottles and it was a great drinking beer! Not real bitter, tons of flavor, and a head that wouldn't quit!

I knew exactly what you were referring to. I was talking about a yeast starter. If you are using liquid you should make a starter.

Immediate blowoff tube and either starter for liquid or if you're scared of making starters, just add an extra packet of dry yeast.

As other have said, you will want a blow off tube for when fermentation kicks off and also you will want to make either a yeast starter, or use extra packets of dry yeast. Also try and ferment this in a cooler area like your basement. When a beer with this high of a gravity start really fermenting the temps in the fermentor will quickly rise. Cooler air temps and a blow off tube will hopefully help you keep this fermentation under control. Good luck with the brew!

Back